2003 Hybrid Brake Issues

bstrom650

Hello all,
As a newbie hybrid owner, I am having brake issues that I need some insight on. I am an experienced mechanic having worked on my cars since 1969, so feel free to write anything technically.

The front rotors are heating up both front wheels to the point of being untouchable. The rears are fine. The front rotors have nor warped (yet!) and there are no leaks or obvious malfunctions overall. We replaced one of the front rotors after the original refused to retract and the overheating wheel problems resumed after a solid bleeding, well greased guide pins, etc. The ABS light does not come on and the car brakes and drives fine..

Before we spend more money or time, I'd like to know if the ABS is potentially at fault, the master cylinder is malfunctioning, ABS wheel sensors need cleaning, or any other possibility to explain this issue.

Many thanks - I look forward to your feedback!

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
The calipers aren't sticking are they?

RonJ

Banned
I'd check for partial blockage in the two lines running from the MC via the ABS control unit to the two front brakes.

bstrom650

The calipers aren't sticking are they?
When we bled the fronts the wheels rotated properly on jackstands - when we drove the car it continued to heat up the wheels. The big question is why...

We are thinking of rebuilding the MC and rebleeding the entire system with fresh synthetic fluid and see what happens. Any other ideas before we start?