2004 Civic EX Coupe Overheating and have tried all I know to do.

Apache07

I recently purchased a 2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe that is overheating.. It has 127k but ran fine the night I test drove it and the next day as well. It was not till the next evening that I noticed the temperature gauge all the way up past the "H". I have worked on cars all the time I was growing up and have never encountered an issue like this. First, I bought it from a previous owner and I bought it as is.I should sue him because on day two it was not as was. Okay, enough complaining. Here is all I have done.

I replaced the thermostat. I noticed fluid down by the water pump so I took it to the shop and had them replace the water pump and timing belt. SOmething I would normally do myself but the reason for driving the civic now is that Dickie the Drunk hit me at around 100mph when I was sitting at a stop sign so there are limitations that I can do with my back in its current state.

So the mechanic replaced the water pump, all the belts and the radiator cap. (I replaced it as well when I changed out thermostat because it was not sealing on the filler neck. That evening, on my way home from the mechanics it over heated again and I could see the whole top of the car was wet and had the white splatter all over the inside of the hood and hoses, etc. The next morning (yesterday) they looked at it for a an hour or so and came back and told me that it was the head gasket. They never lifted the car this time so I asked how the new it was the head gasket and the mechanic said he could see the leak.

I am a skeptic so I did not accept his answer. There was an issue with the cap sealing, this I know. There was always the white radiator fluid all over the top of the car engine and underneath hood. How their pressure tester worked would be a guess.

So, I have replaced the radiator, cap, thermostat, all of the hoses, water pump and numerous gallons of fluid. I have clear oil, not milky. I have no leaks that I can see. I had the car up on jackstands last night and was all under checking where the head sat on the the block and it was clean as it can be aloo the way around. I am not blowing white smoke. The fan(s) come on when I turn on A/C and also when AC is not turned on I have noticed them running.

The only other thing I have done was ti pull off the overflow reservoir and cleaned the hole at the bottom where the hose attaches and it was full of copper flakes. Clogged? I don't know, but it did not fix the problem.

The engine light came on when I overheated on the way to work this morning. (I thought I had it fixed yesterday when I replaced radiator, hoses and cap. I was wrong). This time was my fault. The hose from the bottom of the radiator had come loose. I am not very presentable at work today from laying in rain and antifreeze. Anyway, fixed the hose, refilled with antifreeze. Engine light came on and it would not start for several minutes, it usually starts right up. Once it started I checked for leaks. (none). Drove a half a mile and overheat again so I stop and see no steam from anywhere until I released the pressure on the cap (I had plenty of rags not boo boos) the radiator was empty so I figured the thermostat opened and all the fluid was in the engine so I refilled. It was hard ro start again but the engine light went off. This time it was a mile or so before it over. then the guage would drop to 3/4 and the over heat again. Forcing the fans with the A/C does not seem to help. I was close to work so I finished the drive. Car is now parked and cooling off. I am looking forward to rush hour traffic tonotght!

What am I missing? I am still convinced that the headgasket is good (the mechanic even said it passed the block test). I could have air in the system but not sure how to bleed it (will look up I have haynes manual in hard copy and online). Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You need to bleed the system. That should have been done when the thermostat was replaced, then again when the water pump was changed if it wasn't the same time as the thermostat.

It is possible that the radiator is clogging too if there is that much sediment coming out of the hoses.

I would recommend at the very least, doing a very through flush of the system. You don't want stuff floating around in there and if you have that much coming out from the bottom hose, that is not good news.

Also, suing the previous owner won't do you any good but waste time and money. You bought the car as is. The condition it's in IS what it was in when you bought it. Just because it wasn't doing it on the test drive, doesn't mean it wasn't doing it. I would bet a good guess it has been doing it for a while and am surprised the head gasket and the heads aren't toast from the constant overheating.

That's not to say the owner wasn't hiding it from you but you would have a hard time proving it and getting a judge to side with you. As is, is the condition the car was in when you signed the title regardless of what happens AFTER you take it off the lot, driveway, parking garage, etc.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

That sucks about the drunk driving incident, but glad you're ok!

I'd definitely bleed the system, as if it hasn't been done you probably do have air in the lines.

To get the air out:
- Park the car facing uphill. If you don't have a hill, jack it up very slightly. People say a flat surface is also ok too.
- Start the engine cold, pull off the radiator cap, and turn the heat on and to full blast. Fill her up.
-Running with the cap off and the radiator full, rev the engine slightly and occasionally. Keep topping off the neck. Do this until you see no more bubbles coming up. If you're seeing consistent bubbles coming up from the neck, you may have a head gasket issue.

Also, when you replaced the radiator, did you replace the cap as well?A faulty cap can introduce air into your system.

EDIT: Damn you Cary :lol:

Apache07

Left out I think bleeding the system is the next step EpL0d3R. I have replaced everything but the overflow resevoir. I replaced the thermostat but did not bleed. I had a mechanic replace the water pump and I am sure they bled it. They also said the block test was negative. I could see no leaks around the block and head. And then, because it was still overheating, I changed the radiator, cap, hoses and clamps. There should be nothing blocking the system. I just walked out to the parking lot and luckily my car was slightly higher in the front than the back. I took off the cap, filled up the small amount it needed to top off and then started it and let it run until it was at operating temp. There were a lot of bubbles and I filled as the air escaped. I left it at operating temp normal (About a little less than halfway not an inch past H) and let bit run for 10 minutes. The antifreeze started getting active then and bubbling out so I capped it. Will see how they drive home goes. I did notice that the heater core did not seem to be providing heat. The heat has always been nice and hot at operating tem.

Also, I do not planning on suing the guy who I bought the car from. I got it for a good price, knew I would have to put money in it and besides, when we are done in court I have a hard decision to make. Keep it ot get rid of it. The guy who hit me has some pretty hefty money to pay me. Then we talk about punitive damages. He stated, in front of a police officer (who did included it in the report) that he would buy me a 100 of my cheap@** Mutherfarkin cars. My attorney sad that was out bottom dollar then on punitive since he already offered it and it is documented. My Explorer he destroyed was $57,000. My body he destroyed is worth way more than that but money can't replace that.

Thanks for the help EpL0d3R and Lethal6, Hopefully this will be the fix. By the way Lethal6, your user name looks like a military call sign as well. Mine is. Thanks again.

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you still have issues, I'd test the t-stat. Drop it into some boiling water and ensure that it opens / closes. :thumbs up

Apache07

Thank you

I bled the system some more last night. I had already bled it once but I also noticed that suddenly my heater core wasn't working so I grabbed a copy of War and Peace and went out and bled while I read. Problem fixed. You are a genius sir, thank you very much!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Glad everything's been resolved! :thumbs up

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
...Thanks for the help EpL0d3R and Lethal6, Hopefully this will be the fix. By the way Lethal6, your user name looks like a military call sign as well. Mine is. Thanks again.
You are very welcome. It's nice to have some resolve on stuff. Most people come on here and we never hear back from them after they fix the vehicle.

My screen name was given to me from the guys I used to ride with (sportbike). I was crazy on the track (and on the street; young and dumb) and it was a 600cc. I would still go balls to the wall on the track if I still went but quit years ago and don't ride street anymore because it's too dangerous around here. Need to sell the bike, but can't choke it down. Tried a year ago but backed out. :lol: