2005 Civic EX coolant leak

Tina

I have been seeing a small leak spot on the ground since the end of winter did not think it was coming from my car until recently when I put cardboard underneath.

I'm barely loosing any coolant and temperature has never risen stays steady below the half way point. Don't see any sign of coolant leaking when I look under the hood and don't hear any weird sounds. My leak is on the driver side it's always next to the front tire, after driving when I get home and look under the car I can see light drops of coolant can't quite pin point where it's dripping from. Not sure if it would be the water pump or maybe a hose . Has anyone ever had a coolant leak on the driver side?

6/6/16- I started my car today, opened the hood and let it run till it was completely warmed up, didn't see any drops of coolant dripping underneathe the car while car was running. The only spot I could see that looked wet was near the rear of where the engine is almost under where the end of the timing belt cover is. Checked hoses they all felt fine no wetness anywhere on them.

Will hopefully get it jacked up while at work to get a better look underneath

Thanks

Last edited:

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do you have a bf who can jack it up and take a peek?

Fonchy

I don't know if you have fix it already but I have the same car and my problem was the water pump and head gasket. the seal in the water pump went bad so I did timing belt, water pump and head gasket and by the way Im not a mechanic either I just watch youtube videos and read. Hope it helps

Tina

I don't know if you have fix it already but I have the same car and my problem was the water pump and head gasket. the seal in the water pump went bad so I did timing belt, water pump and head gasket and by the way Im not a mechanic either I just watch youtube videos and read. Hope it helps
Hi and thanks I haven't fixed it yet but am pretty sure it's the water pump gasket that's causing the small leak gonna get a new water pump and timing belt just trying to save some money for it. I don't have any signs of a bad head gasket so only assuming it's just the water pump gasket someone put leak sealer inside the radiator wasn't aware of this till after I brought the car home from the dealer

Fonchy

Since you are going to do that buy the kit, I think I paid 160.00 but it is the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner, there are good youtube videos on step by step on how to do it. It is a PITA but is well worth the savings.

Fonchy

Here is the video I used with step by step on how to do it. It looks hard but it is not. Video is in 3 parts.

KurtK127

Hello Everyone,

First post here. I've got a '05 Civic LX that has a water leak coming from what looks like the "driver" side of the engine. My wife overheated it yesterday and the pressure in the cooling system blew off the reservoir cap and it took 2.5liters to fill the radiator back up. Today I notice water dripping just shy of pouring out on the "driver" side of the engine. I'm at work today so won't get to jack it up and get underneath until the weekend. Thoughts on what this could be? I put in a radiator flush in hopes of flushing the cooling system and heater core because she was getting intermittent heat (heat while driving but no heat blowing when she was stopped) this says to me we've got a clogged or bad heater core. I'm wonder if the flush didn't cause a spike in pressure and bust seals. If this is the case what seals am I looking at? Right now everything is working fine on the car. The heat starts up damn near immediately (leads me to believe it was a clogged heater core) heat then continues whether parked or moving car runs fine, shifts fine and I didn't notice anything wrong with the temp gauge. Just got a water leak. If the water pump wasn't working I'd see greater issues right? Thoughts? TIA, sorry for the ramble.