2005 Civic SE - Normal Opertating?

Polestar

Alright friends, I need some help here before I lose my mind.

I've been battling with Honda ever since I purchased this car for random issues, all not being fixed.

I need some suggestions/comments on if what is happening to my Civic to be considered to be normal.

What's happening is that every time the front fans turn on, my headlamps dim noticeably, the air in the car slightly loses power (as if you turn it down 1 notch from full speed) and you can physically feel the car shaking under this load. After a few moments the air power comes back to normal and the lights are normal brightness.

Also, another question is it normal for the air in the car to drop (as if you put it down 1 notch) when your under 1000rpm? I was told this by one of the techs.

New battery, didn't fix it.

New Alternator didn't fix it.

This power surge happens every time the front rad fans come on that I've notice and happens regardless if I'm driving down the street or sitting idle.

It's annoying to the point to where it's making me hate my car.

Thoughts?

Electrical Load Detector?
Bad rad fans? Drawing too much power?

I don't have any crazy stereo installed or anything like that.

The car is still under warranty and would like to find the solution before it's too late.

Side note: When I have the air off no headlamps on and the car is warm running it runs amazing no shakes or anything.

Thanks so much guys.

Last edited:

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would say ELD from my experience, had the same issue & didn't even have my stereo installed yet, my radio would just power on & off at random & lights would dim plus gauges would go wild, went to the junkyard & pulled 5 ELDs & swapped it out & voila, no more issues & I have backups just in case.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Anyone else have anything to add??

Polestar

Cause I think it might be one of the rad fans that's going, causing more of a initial drain on the system.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Cause I think it might be one of the rad fans that's going, causing more of a initial drain on the system.
Yea I don't know about that unless it's got a short in it or the wiring, but my bet is ELD, those fans don't usually have issues, either they work or don't.

Polestar

So, I put in a much higher cold cranking amp battery with a bigger reserve. I don't notice the drain that much anymore.

But, now with it getting cold the idle is horrific.

When it's starting it'll be anywhere from 1200-1500rpm, then slowly come down to 1000-900 I get terrible idle here it's like I'm sitting in a crappy massage chair. Untill the car fully warms up and idles at 550-600rpm (30mins later) and it's idling so smooth.

Question is why would the idle be that bad and rough through the 1100-800rpm mark. I have to shift in neutreal and rev it up so it doesn't drive me crazy at stop lights.

Ideas?

Thanks guys...

Polestar

So yeah... idles ok anything over 1100rpm.. anything between 1100-800rpm idles like s**t.. then 800-550 so smooth.

I don't understand. :cry: