- VTEC
- Found in: 2001-2005 Honda Civic EX
- Displacement: 1668 cc
- Bore: 74.98 mm
- Stroke: 94.4 mm
- Compression: 9:9:1
- Valvetrain: SOHC VTEC
- Power: 127 hp @ 6300 rpm, 114 ft/lb torque @ 4400 rpm

I already know what Im doing to the rest of the car, but I would like some ideas of what to (or not to do) to the engine to up HP.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would like some ideas of what to (or not to do) to the engine to up HP.
2 things that play into the equation that YOU need to figure out:
Realistic HP goal
Realistic budget you have to work with.

emerican

Registered VIP
^ this
we cant really suggest anything without knowing your hp goal, the budget for the buiild, and what is yoor mechanical knowledge?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what is yoor mechanical knowledge?
That as well, you need to figure that into your budget, whether you will be doing the work yourself or having someone/shop do it.

Khafka23

I don't know a lot, but what I don't know I have some friends that do. As for doing it myself, I would like too when possible so I can learn. As for budget, I can throw a grand at it now, and over the course of the year probably at least another couple grand. As for HP, I would like to get it over 200. Truthfully, I view this website as part of my learning process, (IE talk to people that know).
So, lets start with performance chips. I don't know what a good one is. Any recommendations?

Also, I do understand that since its SOHC, power is limited. What I dont know is how limited.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As for budget, I can throw a grand at it now, and over the course of the year probably at least another couple grand. As for HP, I would like to get it over 200.
Take this time to save up and research.
200 hp is going to require a motor swap with/and/or boost added to it, and you won't be able to do it for $1k.

emerican

Registered VIP
^ this
If 200 is your actual goal then save for swap or boost dont put 1k into it know with bolt ons.
Also you dont need performance chips untill you have serious mods done to the car.

Khafka23

All right, I was getting kinda afraid of that. All the research I was doing was pointing to the fact that it is pointless and expensive to do anything to my current engine. So now in theory, Id want the engine out of an SI?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

All right, I was getting kinda afraid of that. All the research I was doing was pointing to the fact that it is pointless and expensive to do anything to my current engine. So now in theory, Id want the engine out of an SI?
Either boost the stock motor or swap in a K. I don't think the 7th gen's have many options.

emerican

Registered VIP
7th gen is one of the worst models for aftermarket parts and support when compared to the earlier models.
I would personally boost the d thats in there, but thats just me it would be cheaper then swapping in a k depending on how you pieced together the kit and what you pay for the tune.{ do not cheap out on the tune if you go this route it is the most important part of a turbo build] and would easily get you to your power goal.

Khafka23

Ya, one thing im definitely learning from reading other peoples post is don't go cheap. I know of some people in a VW club and from what I gather things like cheap performance chips are a scam at best. Also, I didn't know 7th gens were so horrible for working on. Glad I joined this site, im learning a ton. Ill do some checking into turbos and into a K and see what I can afford. What names should I look into or avoid for a turbo kit?

emerican

Registered VIP
they arent horrible to work on they just dont have the amount of parts of support for them as say a 6th gen does.
It would be cheaper to piece together everything you need for a turbo build instead of buying the whole turbo kit.
what are you going to tune it on?

Khafka23

im not sure yet, been google searching to find out my options.
I am finding K20 engines and some are reasonable. Hard to trust internet sellers though. I did find one that was imported from Japan and was low miled.