2006 Civic EX Engine Clicking - Need to Replace Short Block?!

artgeek09

So we bought this car used not too long ago, and it started making a clicking noise from the engine every now and then. I was told by one mechanic that looked at it that it would most likely just need a valve adjustment. It has 138,2xx miles. Just took in in yesterday to get Honda to look at it, and was told that there was something wrong with the 4th cylinder and that I needed to replace the short block to fix it.

Here's a video I made of the noise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNgm8jHvRow

The exact wording on the Honda Service Summary was this:
"CS Engine clicks at times--speed of clicking sound is based on RPMS--sounds like a rattlesnake--happens about 40% of the time and is sometimes louder than others. Was happening this morning--
Performed valve adjustment for noise and after adjustment the noise was still there. Replaced spark plugs and when unplugged #4 cylinder the noise went away.Found noise in #4 cylinder. Found has wrist pin or piston noise. Needs short block to take care of noise - can continue driving car but will need to be easy on car and if gets worse will need short block. Est on short block, chain. chain adj. guides. headset $4259 (15.0) all parts special order). "

Please oh please tell me there's some other way to take care of this. Grad student here and can't afford a $5,000 repair on a car I just bought. Does that price sound reasonable?

Also, how the heck would this problem even happen? We haven't been hard on it in the 8 months we've had it. A manufacture defect? Previous abuse?

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
If the sound went away when #4 was canceled out then I would say that they are on the right track. Sounds like piston slap to me. Its probably due to oil starvation.

My dad bought a 99 Accord once and had to replace the engine soon after because it had a cracked block, these things just go with the territory when buying used cars.

RonJ

Banned
I would think the wrist pin could be replaced. Not sure why they recommend replacing the whole block.

artgeek09

I would think the wrist pin could be replaced. Not sure why they recommend replacing the whole block.
How much do you think replacing a wrist pin would be?
Please excuse my ignorance. I'm not fluent in car speak.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
The machine work+man hours will probably cost more than a reman shortblock, of course the stealership will probably charge 2500 for a new shortblock.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Assuming there is no other worn parts or damage. If the wrist pin went bad because of a neglect of maintenance you don't know what else could be damaged until you take it all apart. By then you might as well have replaced the short block.

RonJ

Banned
Assuming there is no other worn parts or damage. If the wrist pin went bad because of a neglect of maintenance you don't know what else could be damaged until you take it all apart. By then you might as well have replaced the short block.
True