2007 Civic EX AC issues

cb526

We have a 2007 sedan (EX, if that's important).

We have an issue where the A/C will initially start to blow cold air but very quickly does nothing but blow air at whatever the environment temperature is.

It seems like the system is coming on because it starts initially and also because even when it's not blowing cold air, there is what is best described as a "kick" when the A/C button is pressed with a corresponding, but slight initial change in RPM.

We took it into a shop and the guy said that the compressor was not running but had power to it. He also said that they then tried to power up the compressor coil and that it would not power up.

They are quoting me north of $600 for the job, of which about 75% is labor.

Does this sound right?

Is it possible that a lack of refrigerant is causing the system to shut down quickly after being turned on?

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Low refrigerant will make it blow only slightly cold/lukewarm, and if it's REALLY low, the compressor won't kick on at all. Does the car shake/vibrate at all with the AC on? Do you hear any abnormal squealing/squeaking noises?
If the compressor is indeed bad, $600 seems about right. You're looking at 4 or so hours in labor, plus the cost of parts (if you go OEM, that compressor is an easy $300).

cb526

The price I quoted was for replacement of the coil/clutch only. The cheapest quote I can get for a compressor replacement is around $1000.

Is the quote way out of line?