2008 civic idle problem

cowboy-karate

5+ Year Member
Hi,

My 2008 Civic (auto tranny) engine speed tends to drop too low when the engine is warmed up. When stopping at a stop light, the idle will often drop momentarily to about 400 RPM and then it will catch itself and speed up to about 800 RPM before stabilizing to the set 550 RPM.

I've had it to my dealer 2X and they can't find anything wrong. The tech said he reprogramed the idle speed, but this did nothing.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Keep good records and continue to bring it back to the dealer. You never know if you can invoke the lemon law.

clong

5+ Year Member
Hi,

My 2008 Civic (auto tranny) engine speed tends to drop too low when the engine is warmed up. When stopping at a stop light, the idle will often drop momentarily to about 400 RPM and then it will catch itself and speed up to about 800 RPM before stabilizing to the set 550 RPM.

I've had it to my dealer 2X and they can't find anything wrong. The tech said he reprogramed the idle speed, but this did nothing.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,
Hi, I dont know if this can be related but i have an automatic civic here in Thailand that has been having some gear box issues especially when braking from 80-90 kmh. Th engine instead of staying at 1100 rpm or so under braking actually changes gears by itself under certain conditions under braking sending the revs up over 4500 rpm. Anyway Honda here in Thailand have just issued a gearbox memo stating that the auto ecu should be re-flashed with an updated program to solve the issue. Anyway dont know if this could be related in some way but just thought i would mention it. I have had my unit re-programmed and doesnt seem to be a problem now.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
warm up the car first. try to reset the ecu (disconnect battery), then start car and let it idle for 10 mins without pressing gas or using any accessories. make sure all lights and dials are closed. turn car off, then turn back on and go for a drive. should be fixed. if not, you may have carbon blowby in the idle air valve (the sensor bolted to the throttle body where the coolant hoses go into. take the throttle body and aic valve off and clean out the valve real good with carb cleaner. let dry and then reassemble. redo the idle learn and it should go away. alot of times the valve will clog due to the engine breakin during the early miles, but after that will prolly never need cleaning again