2010 Civic EXL headlamp

Carol Martin

I am in the negotiation process for a 2010 Civic EXL. When I went to look at the car there was condensation in the front headlamps. I currently drive a 97 Acura which failed inspection one year for that very same reason. The dealer is trying to say it's no big deal but I think it could be...there is no real warranty to speak of unless I buy extended for another two grand. Would like opinions. Car mileage 3700o with a clean car fax.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Extended warranty won't usually cover that 98% of the time. You are on your own with cosmetic stuff like that. We fight aftermarket warranties on a daily at work and they only usually cover drivetrain stuff and even then it's a fight. Biggest waste of money out there.

Either find out how much a new set is, have the dealer work it into the deal, or buy the car and reseal them yourself. Not hard to do. While you're at it you could do a projector retrofit and put get a real headlight set up going instead of that outdated halogen stuff. Unless they are already true H.I.D., then just reseal them.

Can't give opinions on a car that we can't at least see the condition of. There are a lot of factors besides just the mileage and the leaky headlights.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If the only legitimate issue the car has is headlights with a leak then thats a great car. However, my concern is how 6 year old Honda lights already have a leak. I agree with Lethal6 to negotiate the cost of headlights out of the selling price. Its only a few hundred anyways.

On a side note, I never knew that a headlight leak to fail an inspection. Thats so trivial in the realm of safety precautions.