3 lug nuts... Safe?

Stinky

East_Coast_Chopstix
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey, I stripped out one of my studs on my rear wheel. So Im only running on 3 lugs right now... Is that ok for a while til I get it fixed???

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes. just fix it asap..

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
and drive really easy till you do.
no hard corners, no hard accelration, and no high speeds

Bangin' HB

surfing member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its safe for the drive to the shop tomorrow morning to get a new one put in

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
and drive really easy till you do.
no hard corners, no hard accelration, and no high speeds
dont listen to him go do a burn out :lol:, no seriously dont.

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I drove with only three lugs on the right front corner of my Civic for 6 months and never a problem whatsoever. I never felt like changing the f**ked up stud that came with the car and I never had to. Its not that big of a deal, you don't need to worry about getting it fixed asap and you don't need to drive all carefully. You can get it fixed when you feel like it.

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Revolver said:
I drove with only three lugs on the right front corner of my Civic for 6 months and never a problem whatsoever. I never felt like changing the f**ked up stud that came with the car and I never had to. Its not that big of a deal, you don't need to worry about getting it fixed asap and you don't need to drive all carefully. You can get it fixed when you feel like it.
you usually give good advice but this is not one of those time...go to any shop and they will tell you that 3 lugs instad of 4 can lead to serious problems

Shogun

is cool
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Its okay on there for a short while but try and get another one as soon as possible or that could lead to serious problems.

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BlackHope121 said:
you usually give good advice but this is not one of those time...go to any shop and they will tell you that 3 lugs instad of 4 can lead to serious problems
It sure didn't for me. Its one of those things you can fix on your own time. Let me repeat, i did this for 6 months and beat on my Civic, and there was never even the slightest f**king problem. Yes you should get it fixed but its not some huge problem that needs to be fixed instantly and you shouldn't drive your car until its fixed. Its not like driving with no oil or only one lug holding the wheel on, your not gonna die and the wheel isn't just gonna fly off. 3 lugs is enough to securely hold a 4 lug wheel on until you get the 4th lug fixed.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think the general consensus is that you should get it fixed, preferably soon, but your wheel won't fall off at some ranom time. i would just get it fixed asap but you can drive it around until then

Stinky

East_Coast_Chopstix
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
while im in there... Im gonna change my drum brake pads. anyone know how to get any more stopping power out of those crappers. Better pads, etc.

C.F. Freak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
They're not going to fall off on you so there's no rush and you probably won't feel any difference.

It will lead to f**k up bearings and other problems if it's like that too long, though.

Like Revolver said, I beat the s**t out of my car too with a lug missing on all 4 tires and never had a problem, but better safe than sorry.

IGotASlowCivic

Yeah Im slow... So?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
C.F. Freak said:
They're not going to fall off on you so there's no rush and you probably won't feel any difference.

It will lead to f**k up bearings and other problems if it's like that too long, though.

Like Revolver said, I beat the s**t out of my car too with a lug missing on all 4 tires and never had a problem, but better safe than sorry.
Agreed. Missing one lug on front passenger side for two years.

And yes i push the car like crazy.

Im a cheapass and having touched the car in years. Just been saving, saving, saving, the car hopefully will just go through an over 3 day weekend change come december/january. including : fixed stud.

Bangin' HB

surfing member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my car also has 150k+ miles on the orig timing belt. does that mean im gonna go around saying no need to change that? get your stud fixed, i think i payed $15 to put a new one on my sisters car not too long ago.

and you need 'shoes' for your drums

white2000

3 motors and 34k miles
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Revolver said:
It sure didn't for me. Its one of those things you can fix on your own time. Let me repeat, i did this for 6 months and beat on my Civic, and there was never even the slightest f**king problem. Yes you should get it fixed but its not some huge problem that needs to be fixed instantly and you shouldn't drive your car until its fixed. Its not like driving with no oil or only one lug holding the wheel on, your not gonna die and the wheel isn't just gonna fly off. 3 lugs is enough to securely hold a 4 lug wheel on until you get the 4th lug fixed.

You just have to put 1,000,000 ft/lbs on the remaining wheel studs. what is factory specs? 70 - 80? I took one hard corner with 3 and limped home with my wheel wobbling like a b***h. all running on 3 will do is break what you got left... maybe not right away, but next time you torque down on them they'll shear right off.

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
white2000 said:
You just have to put 1,000,000 ft/lbs on the remaining wheel studs. what is factory specs? 70 - 80? I took one hard corner with 3 and limped home with my wheel wobbling like a b***h. all running on 3 will do is break what you got left... maybe not right away, but next time you torque down on them they'll shear right off.
No, I always torque my lugs to 80lb/ft and did when I had the only the 3 lugs. Too much torque is the reason studs get f**ked up in the first place (Thank you crappy tire shop employees).

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I broke off a stud on my old Celica. I don't know how long I drove it like that. All the way through 11th grade at least. Granted, it was on the rear on a rear wheel drive vehicle. (it was an OLD ass Celica) I just thought I was going to have to pull the axle so I didn't do it until I was doing the rear brakes and saw that I could get it in without pulling the axle.

No damage to the wheel, bearing, or anything.

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I ran on 3 for 2 weeks and I didn't whale on it. It was ok, but I just felt better after it was fixed. There are 4 lugs for a reason. That's MO anyway.

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Revolver said:
i'm with this guy. ive been missing one for awhile now too.

racecarl

world war wilson
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i forgot exactly how it goes, but spec torque on your lugnuts is 90ft/lbs, multiplied by 4 is 360ft/lbs of pressure. the average u-turn around 15mph puts 200 pounds of force against your outside wheel... so the less pressure you have on the wheel, the more stress is put your remaining lugnuts. it would be smart to replace it.