35w vs 50w hid comparison pics

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just thought i would share some of these results. this is a stock acura TL projector in hi beam mode for all tests. you can see a big difference, but i think there is a problem with the kit bulb beam pattern. i wont know for sure until i get the 50w philips bulbs and test those. but right now, the last setup is the winner by far. all pics are same exposure 1/50 sec.

1. oem matsushita ballast with philips 35w 85122+ d2s bulb

2. $120 YOURHID kit from china with 50w ballast and 50w bulb

3. 50w kit ballast and philips 35w 85122+

4. 50w kit ballast and philips DL50w = total ownage

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice pics. and if i didnt know wat i was looking at. i thought this might be an xray or something. althought lighting is brighter. i heard that higher wattage bulbs and ballast can melt the inside of the proj. housing. true?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just thinking...

...do you think the 50w ballast would decrease the lifespan of the 35w HID bulb...?

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes it will. they are running overwatt which will push it harder. however given the already long lifespan, i think it will still be worthwhile. instead of 6 yrs, maybe they only last 3 yrs.

i will add one more pic tonight using the philips DL50w bulbs i just got. lets see what kind of difference there is. they are the focusline of bulb for non-auto use. but all i need to do to make it fit is cut off the lil pin on the projector since these bulb only have one notch in the base. otherwise its a d2s shape like normal.

i am still working with a semi broken projector which is why no lo beam shots. i should have some of those too once i get the new sheild in. and also stock vs clear lens swap. i posted a bunch of pics on hidplanet already trying to mod the stock shield, but all attempts were fail. best bet with this projector is leave it stock. doing anything with the shield causes less light output.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thought so.

Interesting for sure.