3rd gear grind: Kaaz lsd with gm synchromesh friction mod

silver booolet

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my situation is i got a kaaz lsd in a b16 tranny and was working fine before i did a engine rebuild. im not sure what oil was in the tranny before, but i got torco gear oil with lsd additive. it works fine there is no noise, but now there is the illusive 3rd gear grind in high rpms. so i was wondering if just straight gm synchromesh will take away the grind. thanks!

nurevEKcivic00

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would assume since you have a 3rd gear grind... a third gear syncro replacement is in need, putting in different fluid sounds a little bit of a quick ghetto fix

silver booolet

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would assume since you have a 3rd gear grind... a third gear syncro replacement is in need, putting in different fluid sounds a little bit of a quick ghetto fix
but there wasn't a grind before... worst comes to worst imma have to change out the 3rd gear..

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you install the lsd and not change your fluid after about 1k miles? there are some little metal shavings from new trans components that will gunk things up and cause grinds... replace the syncro,change fluid, and then change it again with an oil change.. you'll be fine

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My grind turned out to be a broken shifter fork. Another thing ive noticed is that the syncros dont normally go bad. Its more than likely the syncro sleeve thats bad.

supercivic00

5+ Year Member
I have the gm s**t in both of my b16 trans n not a problem out of them n and the both did the same only at high rev's

silver booolet

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did you install the lsd and not change your fluid after about 1k miles? there are some little metal shavings from new trans components that will gunk things up and cause grinds... replace the syncro,change fluid, and then change it again with an oil change.. you'll be fine
no the tranny already had the lsd in it i didnt touch it, i just did an engine rebuild. now it has a grind in high rpms in 3rd gear...

I have the gm s**t in both of my b16 trans n not a problem out of them n and the both did the same only at high rev's
do you have a kaaz lsd? im scared to put just gm synchromesh into the tranny because i was told by kaaz usa to use torco gear oil which i did but now i got the illusive 3rd gear grind... weird

supercivic00

5+ Year Member
When I got it rebuild the shop told me that he has never seen a lsd like it n it was a 13 bolt lsd which nuts

And I got the trans with a motor n it had lsd already in it