3rd gear issue, sometimes

Omg Neub

New to this place. But i figured it'd be worth posting.

Just recently bought my first civic
98 civic ex w/ b16a2

Anyway, the previous owner told me about the 3rd gear not catching. He bought a tranny and had it put in and whatnot. But he told me that didnt solve the problem. I have a warranty on it too.

I got it to go into 3rd gear a few times. Always at higher rpms. Every other gear is perfect

So yea, what are possible issues with it?

RonJ

Banned
Sounds like bad 3rd gear sychros.

RonJ

Banned
What does the transmission warranty cover and for what period of time? Give some details.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
synchro isnt necessarily the issue. could be a fork issue. but chances are since its a b16 and a civic and third gear. It is the issue

people beat the s**t out of that gear since they think they own a race car

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Definitely take it back if it's covered under warranty.

For what it's worth, I used to have a mild 3rd gear grind in high RPM's or shifting fast. I drained the transmission fluid, put in Honda MTF, and it went away completely.

Omg Neub

For what it's worth, I used to have a mild 3rd gear grind in high RPM's or shifting fast. I drained the transmission fluid, put in Honda MTF, and it went away completely.
Yeah im definitely going to look into that.
Thanks a ton for the feed back guys :3

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member

Same except mine was a harsh 2nd gear grind. After I put in the OEM MTF, it mostly went away.

ekcoope

sounds crazy but u can use automatic trans fluid it got detergents that mtf dont have and it sometimes stop the strachin