3rd gear problems

09si

my 09 si has been occasionally popping out of 3rd when i shift into it, and if i dont wait a few seconds to put it back in, it will grind. now i know its a common problem with hondas 6 speeds, but i dont want to put any fancy mtf and screw up my tranny, i dont have $4000 laying around for a new one... HELP!!!

RonJ

Banned
Popping out of gear is generally a sign of worn synchro gears. Do you do a lot of aggressive gear shifting? If so, you need to pay to play.

09si

no i almost never rev high unless i need to and shift easy... how much would fixing that go for?

RonJ

Banned
no i almost never rev high unless i need to and shift easy... how much would fixing that go for?
Is your car still under the factory warranty?

09si

no... it was imported from ohio and i live in canada so the warranty was voided.... :(

RonJ

Banned
Well, you have symptoms of a bad/worn synchro gear in the transmission. But since your car is not under warranty, first check whether the transmission fluid (MTF) level is low. If so, top it off. If not, drain the MTF and refill with Honda MTF and hope the situation improves.