4th GEN B16A into JDM MA2 Concerto *HELP*

z00mxracing

5+ Year Member
Hi Techies!

I need some clarification on an engine swap of which ECU to use etc.

I own a JDM MA2 EF9 1990 Concerto 1.6L Multi PGM-FI (ZC ?)

Engine #: D16Z2
Chassis ID: MA2
Manual Trans.
Power: 120PS / 110BHP @ 6300rpm - 120.20Nm @ 5500rpm

What my plans are is to convert my D16Z2 PGM-FI into a JDM B16A.

Basically ive sourced out the same car as mine but has a JDM B16A (from a EF JDM CRX SIR) currently installed in it. It bolted on with no custom engine mounts etc. using the B16A tranny, but its been hook up to the Concerto ECU. all im going to do is completely swap over what is on this dudes engine bay to my "own" concerto's engine bay.

the owner said it was working for about 10thousand k's until he got into an accident and the engine bay was exposed to rain etc. now the Engine wont start but it cranks. Power and fuel delivers to the engine bay but it seems there is no signal going back to the Concerto ECU.

I was told by some mechanics and wreckers that to check the : Spark plugs & Leads, Dizzy and Wiring as it was exposed to rain and moist, and also check the ECU as it may be faulty.

Also the previous owner reckons VTEC was switching but it cant be possible as the Concerto ECU may not have the VTEC wires to send the signal to switch VTEC on or off etc.

Q1. "Does anyone in here know of what other possible problem of why the engine wont start!?"

Q2. "What is the ECU code # that i should be using considering that there is alternative ECU available?"

Q3. "Do you know of anyone who has done this engine conversion into a Concerto?

Q4. "Do you have an ECU pin out diagram for the Concerto & JDM B16A?"

For those who have no idea of what a "Concerto" is below is some details and pics.

Concerto Specs and PICs

you help is greatly appreciated.

Ryan
AUS Representin'

Last edited:

Baka_Saru

5+ Year Member
wow .. never knew about those .. kinda cool looking .. looks like a 90 accord front and a 89 civic rear but nicer .. interesting .. got pictures of the engine bay? .. u have a D series engine .. not Zc .. im guessing if its anything like a 89-90 civic .. youll need a mount kit and some axles ... but .. your car is different .. so may just drop in .. and ull need a pr3 ecu .. i think that it .. thats actually a easy swap also .. your car is already multi port injection .. and obd 0 b16's are fairly cheap .. nice car and gl with what u decide .. =)

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah D16Z2 is a 4th gen engnie, came in teh 1.6I (not 1.6i-16, whitch is the DOHC ZC) your Z2 shoudl be MPFI, i would say ise teh PR3 ECU if your OBD0.

i know nothign of this car, is it a civic chassis?

oh sig pic to larger, read forum ruels

z00mxracing

5+ Year Member
baka_saru said:
wow .. never knew about those .. kinda cool looking .. looks like a 90 accord front and a 89 civic rear but nicer .. interesting .. got pictures of the engine bay? .. u have a D series engine .. not Zc .. im guessing if its anything like a 89-90 civic .. youll need a mount kit and some axles ... but .. your car is different .. so may just drop in .. and ull need a pr3 ecu .. i think that it .. thats actually a easy swap also .. your car is already multi port injection .. and obd 0 b16's are fairly cheap .. nice car and gl with what u decide .. =)
The front actually looks like the EF9 Civics 88-91 and the rear is totally different.

My car actually has a full replacement body kit. J-Spec RS Skyline front bar, WRX J-Spec Skirts and Buddy club / J-Spec rear bar.

Sorry no pic of engine bay yet i will be taking photos whilst the conversion is in place, thanks bro.

Green 91 said:
yeah D16Z2 is a 4th gen engnie, came in teh 1.6I (not 1.6i-16, whitch is the DOHC ZC) your Z2 shoudl be MPFI, i would say ise teh PR3 ECU if your OBD0.

i know nothign of this car, is it a civic chassis?

oh sig pic to larger, read forum ruels
YES - i have the D16Z2 engine 1.6L , 4th GEN, so you suggest that PR3 ECU would be the best bet? what car did the PR3 came out of ? what is the term "OBD0" ?

The chassis of the car is similiar to the front end of the EF9 Civic 88-91 but the rear i believe is close to the Integra 4dr EF series as well.

What did u mean by "oh sig pic to larger ?

thanks guys for your help...but need more opinions on why the engine wont start n shiet..

z00mxracing

5+ Year Member
Guys,

Just to add, spoke to a local wrecker/mechanic he told me that the original ECU that came with the B16A of the CRX is a P30 ECU.

Q5. is this correct ECU or what can be used for the easiest wiring?

Q6. Is it better to use the PR3 of the integra or P30 of the CRX Sir?

coz man these puppies arent cheap here in Aus.

z00mxracing

5+ Year Member
Anyone in here can help?

Okay...update..

I was told that P30 ECU's are actually OBD1 B16A ... is it possible to use this ECU for my conversion using the B16A OBD0 JDM engine?

what modifications to i need to do with wiring looms, sensors, vtec wiring, loom plugs, etc?

Does anyone have a pic of the actual plug of the Loom from the engine bay going to ECU?