$500 Bucks and a 94 DX

cntchds

5+ Year Member
Hey guys,

My name is Pete and my buddy just picked up a 94 DX and is looking to start modding it. Me being the real car nut in our group he wanted me to help him pick out what to buy to make his car perform better, but me being a Mustang guy I have absolutely no idea what to tell him. His car being a Coupe it has a bit more weight than his old 93 hatch, so I told him a good set of springs is where I would start, but I don't know what kind of spring rates you guys run. I also told him that he could always start with headers since I've never seen a stock exhaust manifold that was worth keeping, but living in California really limits some exhaust options.

Basically, he's got 500 bucks to toss around, and I was just hoping for some suggestions on what he should do with it. Please don't feel limited to my previous suggestions, I just thought that was a good place to start.

Thanks,

Pete

Finding Nismo

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Swap the trans with a civic Si or Ex, then intake head exhaust just like you would in a Rustang. The tranny swap will give you an immediate increase in acceleration with its shorter gearing, and can be done well within your $500 budget.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i would suggest to start with suspension first, just cause you won't have to worry CARB, which spring, well that's going to depend on how low he wants to sit, personally i wouldn't recommend anything more then 1.5 or 1.8 of a drop, just make sure to get better shocks too, either Tokico or Koni's would be a good start.

cntchds

5+ Year Member
He is looking at this set up from skunk 2.

Adjustable height coil over.

With these sport shocks.

Has anybody run this set up? I figure as long as he runs at around stock height he won't need to get a camber adjustment kit.

VipdOut

5+ Year Member
suspension , but havent ran those shocks , and he should go low Not stock height lol

cntchds

5+ Year Member
The reason I suggested stock height is because he does not have the money to do a camber kit, which always should be done when lowering a car a significant amount. Caster/Camber/Bumpsteer can all be extremely off, to the point where the stock components can not compensate for, as seen quite obviously on your Lexus, and while it may look "cool" it is not only terrible for your tread wear, but also for your handling, which I do not think is worth the "cool" look. There is a reason why no car in the world comes with camber like that.

stickeyrice84

5+ Year Member
man you can get a cheap set of camber kits like off of ebay or craigs list, hell i have a set of skunk 2 years ago and they were that bad, trust me man you dont want to run stock hight later on he will be pissed becuase he wount look "cool", and it makes ur car handle so much better, have you thought about tie end bars and all of that at all