$500 EK Project Vlog

panici

I picked up a 1999 Civic EJ6/EK hatchback a few weeks ago.

Interesting backstory; I left a note on the owners windshield with my name and number back in March 2016, when he happened to park in front of my house.
I look out my window and I see his bright Red EK hatch, a body style which for some reason I've always loved.

He sent me a facebook message the next day and it turns out I know him from University. He said if he ever wants to sell the car, i'll be first in line.
I only got a brief look at the car that day.

Fast forward to November 2016, and I get a DM saying someone tried to break into the car, there is some damage, and he is interested in selling.
He knew I would take care of the car, based on the previous work I have done to other vehicles. This was important to him, as his father had bought the car new in 1999 and they've owned it ever since. He learned to drive stick on it, so it had a certain connection to the car.

Considering the above, and the damage from the theft attempt, he agreed to sell the EK to me for $500 !
The previous owner had service records from the dealership since new. I don't really have room for another vehicle, but this was just too perfect to pass up!

I'm trying my hand at making a YouTube video series to detail the experience of this car.
You can see the playlist at http://ek.panici.ca

Last edited:

panici

I've got three more videos uploaded, check it out and let me know what you think!

Link to playlist:
http://ek.panici.ca

Episode 2: Pulling the trigger for $500 on the EK hatch! Towing it home with a Jeep TJ. Review of maintenance history.

Episode 3: Investigating my manifold exhaust leak. Checking front brakes. Free used brake pads and steering column.

Episode 4: Fixing Cracked Exhaust Manifold on the D16Y7 & Reconditioning Used Brake Pads.

Last edited:

panici

It looks like a sweet start! What are your thoughts? Turbo?
Staying with the stock D16Y7 unless it fails. This is a budget build!

-------

Speaking of budget repairs, I was able to fix the steering column rub / theft damage for free! Check out the newest video to see the details.

panici

Couple more pictures for you guys! I visited my parents and snapped the first pic.

Second one shows my "drift charm". The idea is to poke fun at the "riced out" cars, since mine is completely stock, and will (mostly) stay that way.

panici

nice find
Thanks man!

-----------------------
In other news, I finally got my EK on the road!

I first put insurance on the car, then got a set of temporary license plates while transferring the title to my name.
After reinstalling the stock manifold heat shield, I set off on my first drive around the block.

Let me tell you, that exhaust compound I used to patch the hole STINKS when it's curing. Anyways, I went around the block, and had a slight rotational rubbing sound from the brakes. After I got some heat into them, the sound disappeared and hasn't returned since.

Those used and refinished front brake pads I wanted to test? Work like a charm.

I then went to the closest gas station with a vacuum, and took care of all the wrappers and other mess on the carpets. Then I set out on an unpleasant highway drive to get my emissions test. I say unpleasant, because I had the windows down and the heat off due to that terrible smelling exhaust.

Thankfully, by the time I reached my emissions test place (about 75km), the smell had dissipated, and the compound had cured. The car ended up passing emissions testing, with the only issue being that the Evap system was "not ready". I later (about a week later) found out via a check engine light, that there is a small/intermittent leak in the EVAP system, throwing a P1457 (Evap Can) code. I'll have to look more into this.

Emissions test secured, I felt comfortable doing a few 1st to 2nd gear pulls. So far, that exhaust repair compound is holding nicely! Time will tell if it lasts though.