5th gear popout?

maximusmda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey everybody.. i recently did a very EXPENSIVE ITR swap in my civic... and when i got it i had to put a nut and bolt in the shift linkage because they didnt supply the pin and clip. well after they shipped it to me i put the pin in and the clip on.. the shifting is alot tighter now (it was all wobbly with nut and bolt) but now when on the freeway ill step on the gas and when i let off (on decel) it will occasionally pop out of 5th gear?? i have no idea what the problem is.. its not like our shift linkage is adjustable.. so im kinda stumpped.. i know its probly not syncro's because it never grinds any gears.. so what else could it be? Any help would be great.. Thanks:evil:

Ron...

5+ Year Member
Sorry I can't help you with your problem, all I could guess is that either the motor isn't lined up right or one of the mounts is a little off...

I had to do the nut and bolt thing too though, and I can't seem to find the pin and clip :p don't suppose that you've got the part number do ya?

maximusmda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sorry I can't help you with your problem, all I could guess is that either the motor isn't lined up right or one of the mounts is a little off...

I had to do the nut and bolt thing too though, and I can't seem to find the pin and clip :p don't suppose that you've got the part number do ya?
you'll want part number 1 and part number 22

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry2=1998&catcgry3=2DR+EX&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=SHIFT+LEVER

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a synchro can still be bad but not grind. my guess is your 5th gear synchro spring is shot, which holds the actual synchro in place.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds to me like either your mounts are bad, and allowing the motor/trans to move or the linkage itself is bent.

maximusmda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sounds to me like either your mounts are bad, and allowing the motor/trans to move or the linkage itself is bent.
my motor mounts are new... so im guessing my linkage is the culprit.. which really sucks cause i paid a good chunk of money for this swap... and im having problems with it.. :evil: really sucks... ill swap out the linkage and see if that solves my issues..

maximusmda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
a synchro can still be bad but not grind. my guess is your 5th gear synchro spring is shot, which holds the actual synchro in place.
you really think a syncro could be bad on a low milage jdm itr tranny? wow that would suck... the only weird thing is... is that when i was running it with a nut and bolt in the linkage it wasnt popping out at all.. only problem was that it was wobbley..

Vitaliy93

you really think a syncro could be bad on a low milage jdm itr tranny? wow that would suck... the only weird thing is... is that when i was running it with a nut and bolt in the linkage it wasnt popping out at all.. only problem was that it was wobbley..
sounds like a bent linkage.. Something has to be wrong with it.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
doesn't really matter the mileage pending the history of the transmission. if the trans was beat on, not used properly, rebuilt, not properly maintained, etc. it could very easily have a bad synchro. same thing happened to me when i bought a transmission on craigslist. guy claimed it to be "mint, with no pops or grinds at 40k miles" but when i got it in my hatch i realized there was a small crack in the case and it popped out of 4th

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Seeing as you didn't have the problem when you had the nut in there, I'm guessing shift linkage may be bent, or your motor is misaligned.. when we swapped my b18 in, even though ALL the mounts fit fine, the motor seemed a little tipped forward.. turns out it just wasn't sitting right somehow...

maximusmda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Seeing as you didn't have the problem when you had the nut in there, I'm guessing shift linkage may be bent, or your motor is misaligned.. when we swapped my b18 in, even though ALL the mounts fit fine, the motor seemed a little tipped forward.. turns out it just wasn't sitting right somehow...
thats what i was thinking... nut and bolt worked fine?? so you think the motor could be misaligned or the linkage bent? thats what i was thinking too.... i'll swap out the linkage and see where im at... thanks