5th Gen hatch rally build

crazycivicman

I'm looking to start my next build and I want to do something much different then you normally see roaming the streets. I want a car that can climb curbs, fly down dirt roads, slide around gravel, splash through puddles and come out on the other side ready for more.

I was thinking a 5th Gen hatch because I have always loved civics and I know they are one of the most reliable, lightest and easiest to work on cars in existence. my question is what would you experts do to a 5th Gen hatch for it to be able to do all of those things.

I was thinking keeping it normally aspirated with a snorkel intake and exhaust. roll cage, brush guards front and back, skid plates and reinforced windows and wind shield. my biggest question Is what kinda of suspension would be best. I would like maybe a 1-2 inch lift and to run light all terrains. also i will leave fwd.

I'm open to all suggestions thank you.

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think a Ep3 would be a better base for this type of sport but anything is possible good luck with your build.

crazycivicman

Why an EP3? they seem a little more expensive for one and from what I hear they are not nearly as rugged as the older hatches.

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've seen videos of ep3's being used as a rally car overseas.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
remember an older article in Honda Tuning, featured a yellow EF hatch that was built for rally. Started with an ex drag car, stripped completely in the interior. Full WELDED cage, naturally aspirated b18 non vtec. think was running sprint springs, don't remember what shocks. Si 5 spoke rims, with rally tires
simple, basic setup. I'm sure if you googled, could probably find it

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It seems a bit weird to use a FWD car as a rally car. I know it's been done, but I always think of AWD cars for rally (Evos, STis etc.). If you do this, and make it kick ass, you will surely garner the attention of a lot of big name companies!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
This topic makes me sad..

On a side note, there are some sweet rally videos of people doing some off road stuff in rt4wd civic wagons like mine. Also makes me a bit sad but at least it's more suited for the topic.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm looking to start my next build and I want to do something much different then you normally see roaming the streets. I want a car that can climb curbs, fly down dirt roads, slide around gravel, splash through puddles and come out on the other side ready for more.

I was thinking a 5th Gen hatch because I have always loved civics and I know they are one of the most reliable, lightest and easiest to work on cars in existence. my question is what would you experts do to a 5th Gen hatch for it to be able to do all of those things.

I was thinking keeping it normally aspirated with a snorkel intake and exhaust. roll cage, brush guards front and back, skid plates and reinforced windows and wind shield. my biggest question Is what kinda of suspension would be best. I would like maybe a 1-2 inch lift and to run light all terrains. also i will leave fwd.

I'm open to all suggestions thank you.
I used to RallyX and owned a '95 Neon ACR that I used just for RallyX events. I've RallyX'd a WRX Wagon and also my sponsors '91 Civic Si. I personally liked the Neon and Civic faaaar better than the WRX. Reason being, they are smaller, lighter cars. I was faster than the 20+ Subaru's out at these events in the Neon and Civic. Throw on some good tires and you're pretty much set. Granted I have a little more driving experience than most but it's proof that AWD is not the end all be all for these types of things.

There are some things that you will be able to get away with without going too extreme on fabrication. Climbing curbs is something that you probably would want to avoid. Ground clearance is one thing, the main reason is our double wishbone suspensions are not the more durable for anything other than what they were inteded to be used for. Bending control arms, tie rods and subframes is a very real risk if you are not careful.

Dirt roads, gravel, puddles are all find and dandy with just a stock suspension car though, which is actually probably your best bet. The stock suspension is surprisingly durable in off road conditions. My sponsors Civic got the living piss beat out of it and the stock suspension was great. Just be careful not to run sideways into a large rut, you'll not only risk debeading your tires but also bending a wheel and bending suspension components.

5th gen civics are not the lightest. The 4th gens are lighter, esp the CRX's. The motors are just as good and easy to work on. There's no need for a snorkel. If you're going that far under water, you'll probably damage the motor and you probably won't be coming out of that water anyways due to lack of power/tq and grip. Reinforced windows? There's no real point. Either leave them in or remove them entirely. If you roll the car, you don't want windows...

There's really no aftermarket suspension kit that is worth while and affordable to the average joe. The people who seriously Rally these cars get custom made suspension setups done. The whole aftermarket for suspension bits for Civic's is all about lowering the car and making it perform better on street/track, not raising the car for off road use. I believe Tien makes a "Gravel" coilover for these cars but like I said, not worth while.. Stock is your best bet.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on tires, you can get away with snow tires. Snow tires actually do incredibly well off road, it's what I used on my Neon and my sponsors Civic. Dry and light mud traction is really really good. Goopy/sticky mud isn't very great though, mainly because these are FWD cars and no limited slip. The only thing with snow tires is that they will get a bit chewed up on hard, dry, rocky surfaces.

simple, basic setup. I'm sure if you googled, could probably find it
Simple is the best way to go. Like I said, the stock suspension is great for off road use. Obviously not for rock climbing but out weak motors and FWD wouldn't really be up for that task anyways.. Tires are the key thing. Get a good set of tires and you'll be fine.

It seems a bit weird to use a FWD car as a rally car. I know it's been done, but I always think of AWD cars for rally (Evos, STis etc.). If you do this, and make it kick ass, you will surely garner the attention of a lot of big name companies!
Depending on the type of Rally, FWD can do just as well, and sometimes better, than AWD. This has been done on the amateur and professional level numerous times for a very long time so it's nothing new. This would have to be a very deep pocket build to even get a look from some big name company. Rally is not yet a big motor sport and aftermarket companies are not dying to get in on it. Most companies are in for the street/track market, not off road. Even fewer for FWD setups. Subaru obviously has a fairly large market for off road parts but for good reason.