5th gen manual tranny to 6th gen

C0mradeAlex

5+ Year Member
I got a bad input shaft bearing. I don't want to rebuild the transmission because I don't have a high enough skill level for that. I was wondering if I could take the gearbox side from 5th gen and plug and play it into the clutch side of a 6th gen tranny?

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why not just use the entire transmission?

C0mradeAlex

5+ Year Member
I am trying to go as cheap and quick as possible. I am trying to do this method for a fix just to get the car back on the road for another 10,000 miles. I don't think the current tranny's ISB will last another 1000 miles.

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Input shaft bearings are easy. A couple bolts and all the gears come out at once. Its really not hard at all. Youre going to be buying another transmission that you know ntohing about. You can get a new ISB for like $30 and a tube of RTV sealant for $6.

$36 > another transmission
ALL MANUAL 92-00 SOHC transmissions are interchangable and will bolt right up to any 92-00 d15/d16 motor.

C0mradeAlex

5+ Year Member
how long does it take to change an imput shaft bearing? I just would hate to somehow mess up the tranny and be stuck for a while.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
God I hate ISB's...... :lol:

You sure its not your throw out bearing? Does it make noises when you push the clutch pedal in, or when the clutch pedal is out?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It makes growling noises when the clutch pedal is out.
As long as it dosent sound like a helicopter, you should be fine for awhile. Mine growls alittle w/the pedal out, but it isnt anything overly loud/annoying. But, good luck replaceing it. Hopefully it isnt siezed to the clutch housing like mine was....

I would just get awhole new tranny to save the trouble of trying to open the casing up, and figuring out how to get it back together.... :what:

C0mradeAlex

5+ Year Member
I'm prolly going to pick up a 5th/6th gen tranny and rebuild it. How much do they cost? I'm seeing on criaglist about $150 for 5th gens and $250 for 6th gens. Sounds pricey for a used transmission.