6th Gen Civic, any years to avoid?

unclebeets

5+ Year Member
I'm going to be buying my first civic and it will either be a 6th or 7th generation. If I go with the 6th gen it will be between 98-00. Was there any major mechanical issues with any of those years? Engine and tranny are strong on them all? I'm going to be buying a stock low mile car.

Thanks for all the help.

cksnah252

Mr.Spades4o1
5+ Year Member
Guy, from 96-98 is the same body and interior. 99-00 is when they changed the interior and headlights, grill, bumper and fenders. What kind of civic ur looking for? An Si which is the sports model, or the basic models. For 99-00 you can grab a SI with a B16a2 motor. Oh wells, do some research.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The years to avoid are 96-98 and 01-05. You dont want those. The 99-00 is the best out of those. You get the face lift, the updated climate control with knobs, you can put a double DIN radio, etc.

DO NOT BUY A 7TH GEN CIVIC!!!

cksnah252

Mr.Spades4o1
5+ Year Member
i have a 97 hatch and wished that I could of bought a 99-00, I think u should go with that. The 7th gens suck and to me are ugly. Not to offend people who owns the 7th gen, but it is ugly lol. GO WIT 99-00 FTW!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if youre looking for a 6th gen you'll want to avoid anything before 1996 and after 2000. likewise if you want a 7th gen stay away from 96-00 model years cuz you'll fail there too. if youre not too picky, anything between 1996 and 2005 will probably suit your needs. good luck

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2001-2005 if you want major gas milage and dont care about mods too much. 96-00 if you want to modify it alot. If you go with 96-00, it all depends on which version you like better. 96-98, or the 99-00. Its all a matter of what looks the best to you. Both styles will drive the same, feel the same (except for the climate controls), ect. Its all a matter of what your looking to do with the car. Not what other people think.

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
99-00 have a different front end which looks much better than 96-98. and the 7th gens are just ugly

unclebeets

5+ Year Member
I'm only looking for a reliable car. I don't want to mod it at all, I was just curious if some of the years had a weak transmission or engine or......

cksnah252

Mr.Spades4o1
5+ Year Member
From my experience, 96-98 engines is a little bit stronger than 99-00 (as in like hatch models). Don't get mad at me guys, but I haven't done a tune up besides oil change on my 97 and I smoked my cousins 00 hatch (his is a cx model and mines is a dx model) bone stock, no mods. LMFAO 2 d16y7 going at it hahaha! He tuned up his car and gets more mpg than my car. Also the mileage on his car is around 80,000, and mines is 110000, so yea. Thats my experience though, but still I wished I could of waited to buy the 99-00 models instead because of the climate control :(.

Go with 99-00 though because they are reliable and it looks really nice compared to the 7th generations civic lol!

FreeOfThoughts

The joy of driving
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Its a honda, i think that the 96-00 model years are the reason that everyone thinks of honda's as great dependable cars. All of them are pretty good, although i have to think that the si 99-00 would have a stronger tranny as it was built for higher rpms/power. If you just need a commuter car then go with the one that you can find with low miles that is still in good shape, they should all treat you well. I have to agree on the fact that the 7th gen doesn't look quite as nice. i would say the 99-00 would be choice, any model really if you don't want to put money into mods.