6th Gen Temp Gauge Sending Unit...Help!

hypaiceangel

I was just wondering if anybody knows how to change the temp. gauge sending unit on my 00 civic? Is it easy enough that a reasonable competent person can do it on their own with some help or is it worth coughing up the $250 to have it done at the dealership?
Thanks

RonJ

Banned
You can change it yourself. It's not hard.

You need to buy a properly sized socket and to partially drain the coolant. Make sure to coat the threads of the new unit with some liquid gasket:

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
Question: The ECT sensor is independent from the ECT gauge sending unit right? It will continue to cycle the fan on/off as long as it senses the required temp of the coolant?

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the switch is what engages the fan, the sensor is for the guage.

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
so the fan switch is the same as the ECT sensor? sorry, i didnt mention im talking about a diff model now a 98 civic lx, im having a problem related to the orig posters problem. i checked the gauge sending unit by grounding the single wire to the engine and the temp needle moved so its ok. the next thing i did was to unplug the wire connected to the ECT sensor on the thermostat and connected a jumper wire and the fan turned on. my concern is that i think the temp gauge is not giving me an accurate measure of the actual engine temp. i also noticed that the fan rarely turns on, even if the engine is at normal operating temp already(have driven more than 10 miles already). i was thinking maybe the ect sensor is not working properly thats why the fan doesnt turn on or maybe its the thermostat

raziel13

5+ Year Member
i checked the gauge sending unit by grounding the single wire to the engine and the temp needle moved so its ok. the next thing i did was to unplug the wire connected to the ECT sensor on the thermostat and connected a jumper wire and the fan turned on. my concern is that i think the temp gauge is not giving me an accurate measure of the actual engine temp. i also noticed that the fan rarely turns on,
Same thing happens to me and ive tried replacing alot of stuff, Coolant temp sensor, cooling fan switch, thermostat,radiator flush, it just keeps happening

RonJ

Banned
You car has three temp reading devices not including the thermostat. See diagram in post #2.

1) 2-wire ECT switch: Located on thermostat housing. Turns fan on when coolant temp reaches set point.

2) 1-wire temp sending unit: Located under distributor. Responsible for dash temp gauge reading.

3) 2-wire ECT sensor: Located forward of the sending unit under the distributor. Sends coolant temp reading to the ECU.

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
got the location of the 3 devices.Now to continue with my problem, I just drove another 15 miles and then checked rubber upper and lower radiator (connected to the thermostat) hoses and both are hot but, the temp reading in my temp gauge doesnt go beyond the level of (N) Neutral in the PRND4D32L even if I've driven the car on a hot day with the AC on. I'm planning to test the ECU switch on the thermostat once the weather clears here in MD. BTW, is there a way to test for the condition of device number 3 (2-wire ECT sensor under the distributor)?

RonJ

Banned
I don't know what N means for the temp gauge. Is the temp 1/4 or 1/2 or 3/4 toward hot? It should be between 1/4 and 1/2.

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
opps sorry for the confusion, in the 98 LX gauge cluster the shift indicator is located between the temp ad fuel gauges, the needle points to just about that level between 1/4 to 1/2 towards hot zone. Is it normal for the needle to stay in that zone even if im drving in hot weather with the AC on, same as when im driving during winter? I was thinking it should rise to about more than 1/2 a bit during hot days.

RonJ

Banned
opps sorry for the confusion, in the 98 LX gauge cluster the shift indicator is located between the temp ad fuel gauges, the needle points to just about that level between 1/4 to 1/2 towards hot zone. Is it normal for the needle to stay in that zone even if im drving in hot weather with the AC on, same as when im driving during winter? I was thinking it should rise to about more than 1/2 a bit during hot days.
Nope. Your engine temperature is fine.

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
ok, thanks, good to know there wont be a need to replace anything for now=). Anyway, just to be sure
will let the engine cool off and check the coolant level in the radiator.