6th gen window problem, who has fixed it for GOOD.

ryanM

my car has had the problem for 4 years now

i have fixed it countless times with no success (it stays good for a day or two and goes to s**t again)

my father has even taken it into the dealer to try to get it fixed a few times.

it is STILL broken. tonight was the worst. i try to leave to take the car with me to school and the window just drops down into the door. so i was out in 20 degree weather with no lights and no tools trying to fix it. i ended up accidentally taking the whole window out of the door... i got it to stay up temporarily but i want to fix this FOR GOOD.

i know a lot of you have had this problem. what did you have to do to fix it and have it NEVER come back again.

thanks in advance.

i'm seriously tempted to just buy a door out of the junk yard that has manual windows...

lightpost08

5+ Year Member
oooh, that sucks man. sorry. have you/they changed out the window regulator?

shane

5+ Year Member
the same thing happens to me to it sucks i try and try it will always do it

rndmheroxx

5+ Year Member
i would take pictures for you, but its kinda inside my door and im not gonna tear it apart. maybe later today i can make a diagram if u want. but anyways, what i did what take apart the door, then look inside that opening where the bottom rail of the scissor that raises the window is, with the window all the way down by the way. then stick you hand up behind the glass, so your hand is closer to the outside face of the door, see how much pressure you need to apply to keep the window in the tracks by raising and lowering it a couple times. now this next part took a little trial and error. what i did, was measure how far it is from the bottom of the inside of the door, up to about where you had your hand. go inside and cut a block of wood about that length. ( i used a piece of 2x4, the 2inch side facing inwards towards the car) have a pencil or sharpie with you and draw yourself a rough line as to where you need to cut the block to fit behind the window where your hand was. now when you go inside, cut this line on an angle so it goes outward a couple degrees so as the window goes down, it keeps more pressure on the bottom of the window, cuz as you may have noticed, when it comes off its tracks, it falls towards the outside of the car, while the track actually curves towards the inside. so just take that bad boy and hot glue it in there or something. worked for me! i hope i gave you a semi-accurate description of what i did. oh yeah dont worry about it scratching your window cuz you dont see this part when its raised anyways. i did this about a month or so ago, and ive been using my windows fairly frequently with no problem. my passenger side still hasnt come off the tracks so i havent done it on that side yet. GOOD LUCK!!

-Will

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So you don't even roll down the windows and they just drop? I hate this problem, I never roll them down more than 1/3 down to prevent it. And how old is your father if you're 78??!! :rolf:

guachi

5+ Year Member
measure how far it is from the bottom of the inside of the door, up to about where you had your hand. go inside and cut a block of wood about that length. ( i used a piece of 2x4, the 2inch side facing inwards towards the car) have a pencil or sharpie with you and draw yourself a rough line as to where you need to cut the block to fit behind the window where your hand was. now when you go inside, cut this line on an angle so it goes outward a couple degrees so as the window goes down, it keeps more pressure on the bottom of the window, cuz as you may have noticed, when it comes off its tracks, it falls towards the outside of the car, while the track actually curves towards the inside. so just take that bad boy and hot glue it in there or something.
that is exactly what i did about 4 months ago and its still working, I glued that piece of wood there and it hasn't fell down or anything, it works great!

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I fixed it for good by replacing the scisors and tracks in each door.

rndmheroxx

5+ Year Member
Yeah but I think replacing the parts would be a waste cuz if the parts did this straight from the factory on all our cars then what's to stop it from happening again? Besides, mines free and pretty much a guarantee it won't happen to u when it starts raining or snowing haha.;)

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wouldn't call doing a power window conversion with free parts a waste.

And I wouldn't be caught dead using a 2x4 as some sort of fix for my car. Ghetto.

rndmheroxx

5+ Year Member
Sorry bro I didn't know u converted to power. Good for you! And I don't consider the fix ghetto cuz it's just a wood shim. Its inside the doorpanel, you can't see it.

guachi

5+ Year Member
Sorry bro I didn't know u converted to power. Good for you! And I don't consider the fix ghetto cuz it's just a wood shim. Its inside the doorpanel, you can't see it.
it aint getto man! its a McGyver fix, it works, nobody notices it and its free!!