6x9's require an amp?

InnovativeMind

5+ Year Member
Okay so I managed to get some 300 watt pioneer 6x9's into my 92 civic lx. The rms is 40 watts i believe. So I get everything in, wires connected and I turn on my deck. Music is playing great and everything, but all of a sudden everything stops...the deck is working perfectly from what I can see, but none of the speakers work anymore. I thought I blew my 6x9s but not even the front stock speakers are working! I've been going through other threads, but only seen people discussing about what amps to go with their 6x9s....so do I need an amp or is it bad wiring? I tried hooking up my old rear speakers to check if all the speakers just blew but no sound either....

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like wiring.

cujo613

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it sounds like either you have a short that put your deck into protect and shut down the outputs, or you smoked the outputs

Jspec Ej6

Sam
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its just bad wiring...you could run your 6x9 without an amp, but it you want better sound, i 'd go with an amp...my system in my car right now is awesome....i have 1 amp for the components...and another amp for the subs, and that s**t bumps....so anyways, just go back and check your wiring, make sure you seal all of the wiring with electrical tape...that does make a difference.

InnovativeMind

5+ Year Member
Ii turned it on this morning and everything works i think my deck shutdown the outputs like the snoopy had said. I'm going to purchase an amp just in case, thanks a lot peoples.

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
a amp wont help you...somethen prolly touched wrong and it shut itself off....

birde427

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea def sounds like wiring, if one of the wires ot the speaker ising wired correctly nothing will play, and an amp will not really help this situation. you should fix the problem then get an amp

Panathrasher

5+ Year Member
Have fun with the new amp but it's not going to fix your problem. If you have a wiring problem address that first before you install an amp, that way there is less to trouble shoot. An amp is only going to amplify the signal it receives from the head unit. If your head unit is not putting anything out to your speakers you will only get amplified silence.

InnovativeMind

5+ Year Member
so it's been working fine now, i haven't got an amp yet....i'm still going to check the wiring of course

hopefully it's the issue was the one someone had noted on the second reply

Jordan_n

No fun unless ur Dragging
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it could be a problem with you're head unit, I dunno what kind you have but a few people in the past actually burnt their head unit because their speakers were pulling more powert than the headunit could send, this also happens if you try to hook up more than 4 speakers to a head unit that can't send out enough power.
just a guess

cujo613

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A speaker can not pull power. A speaker is a circuit. Depending how high or low of impedance a speaker has is depending on how much power the deck runs through the circuit. If an output is designed to put x amount of power through a 4 ohm resistance and that resistance is dropped, that output runs more power through that circuit. The circuit itself does nothing to draw power, but merely regulates the flow.

Phantom Civic

Never Satisfied
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I got a friend that had a problem with his music completely cutting out if he turned it up too high. It was an aftermarket cd player in an oldsmobile. It was still playin the cd just no music. He eventually got a new deck and hadnt had any trouble with it. :what:

97civic123

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i's the wiring. either that or you blew out your headlunit internal amp.