7000 redline

5th gen hatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok i'm stumped. i have a gsr obd1 swap with a jdm p72 ecu. i have no trouble codes and everything is hooked up and works. but i can only get my engine up to 7000 rpm. in my chilton manual for my civic it says that fuel cut off is at 7000rpm. so why have i read that other people with the same swap can redline to 8100 or 8200 witch ever it is?

MasterShake

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is your vtec engaging?

orfus5

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your tach may be off for whatever reason.
that happened to me when i swapped a gsr motor into my 94 ex coupe.
it was around 1k off
I got another cluster from some 4dr dx auto, and was right on.....

5th gen hatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah vtec works. but here's the thing my vetc and secondarys arekicking in when there suposed to . . . i think according to my tach

orfus5

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you could always just borrow like an autometer tach from someone or something, just to make sure.

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea get one of those tachs that tap directly into the distrubutor and go fromt here

wmertz

~multi-colored beast~
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
u got enough oil in your car? that actually happened to my friend with his ls/vtec.. it sounded like he was hitting off a rev at like 7200.. checked his oil.. he had like none in from an oil leak all of a sudden

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
werd, oil check/ change, clean Vtec solenoid screen, check timing.... use the search button... ;)

5th gen hatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check oil every week. oil is fine. could the signal from the dis be messed up on the way to the tach or could it just be the tach

orfus5

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
tach, if the distributor was messed up, it probably wouldnt be running

5th gen hatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
found out ot was the tach . now my ? is if i run a wire from my dis straight to my tach would that fix the prob?

weksos

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
5th gen hatch said:
found out ot was the tach . now my ? is if i run a wire from my dis straight to my tach would that fix the prob?

if the tach is broken, running anything to it wont work.