7th Gen help! RED LINE AT 4!?

deathviaangel

5+ Year Member
Hey hows it going guys. I'm having a problem with my car. I just put in a new clutch. Not all the time but sometimes my car will red line at 4 now, and sometimes im having a problem starting it. Help with ideas please

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
your ECU is in limp mode. and you mean REV LIMIT. Not redline.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is the check engine light on? if so go to the auto parts store and get it checked.... its free there.

EMIIspecED

TEAM OCELOT rep.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
what the idle at when u start it up?

dj_cronic_metal

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I don't get why changing the clutch would do that. Definitly check for codes. Doesn't the em2 also throw soft codes as well?

CivicRcR07

K-Series
5+ Year Member
your ECU is in limp mode. and you mean REV LIMIT. Not redline.
+1

You most likely were hitting your redline a lot and made your ecu go into limp mode which dropped your rev limit down to 4000 rpm's. If there is no ecu codes, pull your ecu fuse to reset your ecu.

7thgen.civic

5+ Year Member
there are a few problems that it could be, i have dealt with this problem as well.
1st thing.
if the check engine light is on, make sure you have your oil, clutch and brake fluids up(brake not so much but make sure your oil level is ok).
IF your check engine light isnt on, then the next things are the Ecu, em2.
Easy way to figure this out. when you car begins to reach a rev limit of 4000 rpms and remains there. stop your car, turn it off and start it again. if your car begins to run like normal and your rev limit is back to red line its because turning off the car reset the ecu so that you are no longer in limp mode. All i know is how to diagnos the problem, how to fix the ecu, well that beats me. I jus' needed to change my oil =)

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
make sure your oil level is okay. check to see if anything is disconnected, limp mode is there to protect your motor from serious damage.

To reset the ECU you can either, remove the neg batt cable and let the batt drain, or pull the fuse, the fuse is much better, the fuse is under the hood where the battery is. fuse ratting should be 15, look under the cover of the fuse box it will tell you. Refer to RESETING ECU and Idle learn procedure. If you still are having problems, take it to a tech.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^if you need help finding anything, our cars come with a very nice detailed manual ;)

CivicRcR07

K-Series
5+ Year Member
make sure your oil level is okay. check to see if anything is disconnected, limp mode is there to protect your motor from serious damage.

To reset the ECU you can either, remove the neg batt cable and let the batt drain, or pull the fuse, the fuse is much better, the fuse is under the hood where the battery is. fuse ratting should be 15, look under the cover of the fuse box it will tell you. Refer to RESETING ECU and Idle learn procedure. If you still are having problems, take it to a tech.
+1

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if i remember... just pulling the fuse wont get rid of the code.

did you go to the AUTO PARTS STORE to get it checked for FREE? Autozone does this free of charge. you walk in. you tell them your check engine light is on...they walk out with a code reader and tell you what is wrong.....then you fix it. takes 5 minutes. they can even reset it for you to see if it was a freak hiccup.

CivicRcR07

K-Series
5+ Year Member
I know with my old EJ8 you could take the ECU fuse out and it would reset or you could take off the B- cable for 10secs and it would reset also. Im sure it would work the same way with an EP3 or an EM2.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know with my old EJ8 you could take the ECU fuse out and it would reset or you could take off the B- cable for 10secs and it would reset also. Im sure it would work the same way with an EP3 or an EM2.
no it doesnt