8 people dead in desert race.... who's fault is it?

CDubs

Registered VIP
Here is the article to the story of 8 people dead and 12 injured in a desert race in Cali.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100815/ap_on_sp_ot/us_off_road_crash_deaths

Cliffs

"Rock Pile" is famous for not having barriers to stop spectators from gettin close to the jump

driver lost control and flew into the spectators

one person decapitated, 6 died on site 2 in the hospital

truck landed on roof and uninjured spectators rolled it on its wheels

one spectator stated "That's desert racing for you," Payne said. "You're at your own risk out here. You are in the middle off the desert. People were way too close and they should have known. You can't really hold anyone at fault. It's just a horrible, horrible accident."

so your opinions was it the drivers fault, the spectators for being within ten feet, or no ones just a bad accident?

EDIT: Also found this video for it too, some graphic descriptions though
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/sns-ap-us-off-road-crash-deaths,0,1493833.story?track=rss

EDIT:
here is another update that i have found, one man lost his life saving his girlfriend and 3 year old daughter
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts3432

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wow , thats terrible, prayers go out to those families who lost someone

CDubs

Registered VIP
agreed, i saw that on my yahoo page and my jaw just dropped, prayers to everyone injured or killed

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i feel bad for the families. but i would say no fault on this one. they where standing way to close to a jump in a non controlled coarse conditions.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
saw this on FB, its tragic. BUT, those people should not have been standing that close, so IMO its not the drivers fault at all.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it seems like they were getting a rush from standing so close . if your stupid enough to get that close your going to suffer the consciences like they did.

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The dumbest of people will stand the closets. Their stupidity paid off that day.

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I hold no one at fault, the driver messed up.. but the people were standing way too close.

sirjdmfan

it is tragic but when you get that close your taking the risk of excitement into your own hands...... Hell accidents like that happen more often then not at places like BAJA500, or the W.R.C., I've seen way worse crashes then that........ especially in the snow. But, besides the point I do feel bad that's no way to go AT ALL. but nobody said racing or being a spectator in that position was safe.

CamelNo.9

it seems like they were getting a rush from standing so close . if your stupid enough to get that close your going to suffer the consciences like they did.
You can't watch any of those 'amazing video' shows without seeing at least one rally car crash per episode, and there's always a spectator or cameraman who gets pummeled or comes within inches of the car as it barrel rolls over their head. I have to blame the spectators for choosing to get within an unreasonably dangerous proximity to the track. Of course I don't wish this on anybody, but I support a person's right to put his or her own life at risk.

CDubs

Registered VIP
i think if the photographers want close up shots they should just get a massive lens to zoom in from far away

Voltio

formerly known as FAN8228
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You go to these events knowing the risks. It is what it is. Isn't the first time it's happened and it won't be the last. Looks like the unemployment line just got 8 people shorter :oh:

el_betiyo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You go to these events knowing the risks. It is what it is. Isn't the first time it's happened and it won't be the last.
x2

I have attended BAJA 500 & 1000 and yes, sometimes we do get that close and that's the risk you take. Unfortunetly, things like this got to happen to realize of the danger. But people won't change.

CDubs

Registered VIP
i just heard last night that there were barriers that surrounded the 100ft wide track but people hopped them to get closer....can anyone confirm this or is it bs?

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it is tragic but when you get that close your taking the risk of excitement into your own hands...... Hell accidents like that happen more often then not at places like BAJA500, or the W.R.C., I've seen way worse crashes then that........ especially in the snow. But, besides the point I do feel bad that's no way to go AT ALL. but nobody said racing or being a spectator in that position was safe.
You can't watch any of those 'amazing video' shows without seeing at least one rally car crash per episode, and there's always a spectator or cameraman who gets pummeled or comes within inches of the car as it barrel rolls over their head. I have to blame the spectators for choosing to get within an unreasonably dangerous proximity to the track. Of course I don't wish this on anybody, but I support a person's right to put his or her own life at risk.
when i saw this on the news yesterday the first thing that came to mind was rally racing. spectators get taken out all the time and i never see it on the news. and don't these desert races go on all the time? im sure this isn't the only time there has been fatalities. i just don't understand why this is coming up to the surface now.

i would say the spectators are to blame. they know the dangers of being so close. and if a race is going on, the driver doesn't have enough time to stop and say "hey, can you guys move back a little?"
i mean if you stand that close how do you think you're not gonna get hit? its common sense