88 Dx Auto -> Manual, Guidance needed

88DX4ME

5+ Year Member
Long story short, i picked up an 88 dx last night, and it came with most of the parts for a manual trans swap.

Basically, if anyone has done this, it would be great to know exactly what i will need and what all is required.

Here is what i have so far

Manual trans
Shift linkage with shifter
axles
came with a starter, but it looks shot
came with flywheel, but looks shot

so off the top of my head, i know that im going to need:

flywheel
clutch kit
starter
flywheel bolts
manual pedal cluster
rear motor mount
shift linkage hardware(nuts and bolts, etc..)

Now, my questions start..lol

Is there any other hardware that is missing on the list that i will need. (nuts bolts, pins, etc..)

Can i use the starter from the auto on the manual trans? When i go to autozone's website, it doesnt differentiate between an auto and manual starter

Also, can i use the bolts that hold the auto trans to the block on the manual trans?

What wiring will need to be done? I know that the transmission interlock needs to be bypassed somehow, so anyone have a clue what/how to wire that so its bypassed?

Also, will i have to wire it so that i have to press the clutch in to start the car, and if so how is that done?

Is it a good idea to replace the bushings etc? or is the stock hardware fine?

Should i replace the clutch pilot bearing/bushing, or do those rarely go bad?

i know that for all the bolts and whatnot, im going to go into a honda dealer and get those, so thats not too big of a deal. Ill just bring the haynes manual with and say i need all these bolts and pins etc..

For everything else, im going to shop around.. I know clutch and flywheel and pressure plate will be brand new, but if i need to buy a starter and i cant use the ATX starter, then ill try to find a used one of those, and so on and so forth

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give. Im starting to learn about hondas and just trying to make sure i do the mtx swap without any problems or issues.

here is how the car sits for now;

apekd

-----Distracted you, huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Also, can i use the bolts that hold the auto trans to the block on the manual trans?
Yes you can . They are the same bolts. Just make sure they dont have bad threads

Also, will i have to wire it so that i have to press the clutch in to start the car, and if so how is that done?

No you dont have to.

Replace them as its good to know they are new, and you dont have them seize later down the road

HIT THAT ENGINE BAY WITH DEGREASER FAST! THAT ISH IS MESSED UP!

88DX4ME

5+ Year Member
Yes you can . They are the same bolts. Just make sure they dont have bad threads

No you dont have to.

Replace them as its good to know they are new, and you dont have them seize later down the road

HIT THAT ENGINE BAY WITH DEGREASER FAST! THAT ISH IS MESSED UP!
yea, im planning on degreasing the whole thing...lol

thanks for the info!

JDMefHATCH7

5+ Year Member
im in the same positionas you are...
i picked up a 90 DX with a blown head gasket and its auto...so first im getting the head polished at a machine shop(should be done by tmrw) and then im getting started with the conversion
so far
i picked up a CRX Si 5 speed tranny with linkeages
and ive been doing a lil research on the conversion i know im gona need a clutch kit and a flywheel and im gona try to go by a junkyard sometime this week or next week to pick up pedal assembly and s**t like that...

we should really do this together no homo lmao

http://www.dreambeamz.com/crx/auto2man.htm

^^^this guide or for a CRX is there any differences with a hatch conversion?

and i saw the pic of your car is it sitting just like you got it?

also how much did you pick it up for ?

88DX4ME pm me if anything

goodluck

88DX4ME

5+ Year Member
im in the same positionas you are...
i picked up a 90 DX with a blown head gasket and its auto...so first im getting the head polished at a machine shop(should be done by tmrw) and then im getting started with the conversion
so far
i picked up a CRX Si 5 speed tranny with linkeages
and ive been doing a lil research on the conversion i know im gona need a clutch kit and a flywheel and im gona try to go by a junkyard sometime this week or next week to pick up pedal assembly and s**t like that...

we should really do this together no homo lmao

http://www.dreambeamz.com/crx/auto2man.htm

^^^this guide or for a CRX is there any differences with a hatch conversion?

and i saw the pic of your car is it sitting just like you got it?

also how much did you pick it up for ?

88DX4ME pm me if anything

goodluck

lol, no i got the car in working order for the most part, drove it home(about a 40 minute drive), thats how its at after a day of tearing into it

i traded my xbox and an old amp and sub for the car, so basically the car was free

i think the hardest part is going to be finding a pedal assembly, after that, i think it SHOULD be smooth sailing

i see one pedal assembly on ebay, but other than that its going to be a junkyard for me. The only fun part is that it needs to be a cable clutch pedal assembly, which i dont think is easy to come across

88CReXin

Broke college student
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Don't forget the actual cable for the transmission

88DX4ME

5+ Year Member
Don't forget the actual cable for the transmission
yea i have the clutch cable that goes from the clutch pedal to the trans, then i have the linkage, the speed sensor wire that goes from the trans to wherever lol

i did get a little more work done today, got the ac condenser out so now the a/c system is completely gutted. also took the starter off the car, and figured out it will bolt to the manual trans, and from the looks of it will work once the trans is on the car.

so as of right now, the list to get the swap done is:

clutch
flywheel
pressure plate
clutch pedal assembly
front and rear motor mounts

and that should be all that i need to get it done

of course, becuase im out of a job right now its going to take a while to get the parts. i have some parts from the car on craigslist so hopefully once those sell i can afford to keep this project going(unless i can find a job, that would be the better alternative)

realistically, if i had all the parts i could have this swap done in a few days..

88DX4ME

5+ Year Member
well, got the transmission out today.

i have to remove the tq converter, and the auto shifter selector.

after that, i think this is about as far as ill be able to go for a while. list of parts is growing, and without having a job it will be hard to get all the parts together for the swap.

I found someone local that is selling a pair of headlights for 10 bucks, so im going to pick those up tuesday

Also found someone willing to trade me for a flywheel and clutch, but i havent heard from him.. so who knows..

at the moment, here is the main listof what i still need

clutch
flywheel
pressure plate
bushings and bearings for trans
pedals
shift linkage bolts and hardware
flywheel bolts
rear motor mount
front motor mount
upper ball joints both left and right
front brake rotors
front pads

and that should hopefully get the trans swap done, and the suspension put back together

then after that

radiator
lower radiator hose
coolant
rear main seal
cam seal
valve cover gasket
water pump
water pump gasket
timing belt and tensioner
alt belt
plugs
wires
cap and rotor
fuel filter

right and left fender
bumper reinforcement bar
bumper
filler piece

and after all of that the car will be ready for the road.

Then in the spring ill start body work, but that is assuming i can get all the work done this year/over the winter

if i had the parts, i could probably have this car done and ready in about a week, but im not in a big rush. Its a project car and if it takes a year to get it on the road then no bid deal to me

EGAutoX

5+ Year Member
you might get yours on the road before me, i have a laundry list of parts that sums up to about 10k and a job that doesnt pay s**t without over time. im looking at maybe 5 years getting the car how i want it lol. but it was fun getting your tranny out just hope the frame isnt bent after that small ordeal with the jack

88DX4ME

5+ Year Member
you might get yours on the road before me, i have a laundry list of parts that sums up to about 10k and a job that doesnt pay s**t without over time. im looking at maybe 5 years getting the car how i want it lol. but it was fun getting your tranny out just hope the frame isnt bent after that small ordeal with the jack
lol, it takes a lot to bend a frame, plus that was the engine cradle, that isnt going anywhere

it was fun most definitely.. i just cant wait to actually drive the car..

88DX4ME

5+ Year Member
i will be starting a thread in the project thread section, so ill be posting progress and pictures there from now on

but i will have pics of the car with the trans out in there!