89 Civic DX Sadan TODO?

JokerTM

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi guys.

I just got an 89 Civic DX Sadan from my sister for free. this car needs ALOT of help. the engine is a 2 year old rebuild and the tranny is orignal with 270,000 miles on it. I've bought a short-ram intake for it but thats the extent of my engine modifications.

I'm really into cars, so i wonder what i can do to it? I've read about B16 engine swaps. I assume this takes quite a bit of work and I have a few questions.

Will a "swap kit" or whatever the terms are contain most things i will need to change out the engine?I hear i have to change out the axles and all of that to do this. will it take any engine compartment modification to get it to fit? besides mounts and such.

Another thing, the tranny right now is automatic. i would like a manual in there. does it take alot of work to make the switch? (which i assume i have to do for an engine swap anyways) is it difficult to add the clutch pedal and install a manual shifter?

sorry for my ignorance. i know more about american engines

any input would be great =)

T-mo

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Please its SEDAN. Also not to dis clubcivic, but try searching on www.honda-tech.com for more info, writeups and pics about this. They can be @ssholes at times but it is still a very informative board.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
there is also a rare jdm auto b16, or you can get a b16 motor and use the 90-93 teg b18 auto trans, and yeah there is nothing wrong woth it being a sedan.

JokerTM

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
he was correcting my spelling not knocking on the fact that its a sedan.

I don't mind that a swap kit would have a manual tranny with it, i actually prefer manual. i'm just curious how much more work it will be to change the car into manual

greenlx777

BigRed is Dead
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
who gives a s**t if its a sedan, so long as you love the b***h, and treat it right.....TITS all good

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
and it gets you back and forth in one piece, unlike mine which makes it back and forth while on it's death bed.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
When changing out the engine.. you have to change out the transmission anyway... so the auto to manual swap is included in the engine swap..

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
greenlx777 said:
Ur car must LIVE ON!
as long as it last about 2 more months so i can get my b18a in then i'll be happy.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
JokerTM said:
he was correcting my spelling not knocking on the fact that its a sedan.

I don't mind that a swap kit would have a manual tranny with it, i actually prefer manual. i'm just curious how much more work it will be to change the car into manual
T-mo is a SHE. :wak: :hitit:

As far as how much work it is to change over to manual... it's really not all that hard... you just have to get everything you need from car with a 5speed. Remember how you take everything out of the donar car, and installation is the reverse of removal. It should all bolt right up. Just to be safe, order a Helms Manual so you'll know exactly what you're doing at any given time.

If you want to pay someone else to do the change over... I've seen it done for as little as $1,000 and as much as $2,200.
In the end, you're really better off finding a car that originally came with 5speed.... and considering your chassis already has 270k+ on it, that might not be a bad idea anyways.

JokerTM

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sorry, force of habbit to say "he" online. my bad =)

I love working on cars.. thats why i'm going to do the work on this car.. not that it needs it, or if its even worth it. its just a project car for me and its practice since i'm trying to do it for $$...

What kinda tools will i need for a swap? wrenches/sockets obviously.. engine lift? i'll probably just buy one.. any specialized tools for the job i should know about?

I'll check out the pick-a-parts for 5speed parts.

thanks for the info guys.. been a great help so far =)

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
JokerTM said:
What kinda tools will i need for a swap? wrenches/sockets obviously.. engine lift? i'll probably just buy one.. any specialized tools for the job i should know about?
You can take apart the entire car and put it back together again with,
Philips head screw driver
10mm wrench and/or socket
11mm wrench and/or socket
12mm wrench and/or socket
14mm wrench and/or socket
17mm wrench and/or socket
19mm wrench and/or socket
and a good pair of pliers