'89 CRX w D16A6/Y8 hybrid, lots of suspension mods

SpecialED

Honda Whore
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've had this car for a few years now (over 5, can't remember exactly) It's an 1989 Honda CRX Si. I bought it stock from the original owner. It's been a very fun street car/autocrosser (first in CSP, now SM2)

Suspension:

* Neuspeed Koni Sport adjustable dampers (5-position spring perch) front, Tokico blue rear
* H&R race springs
* Suspension Techniques front and rear sway bars (rear 3-position adjustable)
* Mugen rear trailing arm bushings
* Neuspeed front strut tower brace
* Neuspeed rear lower tie bar
* Progress two-position adjustable camber kits (front)

Engine:

* Fully rebuilt D16A6 block, bored .050” over (1,654cc total displacement)
* Ross Racing forged pistons (tops custom polished to minimize detonation)
* 11.1:1 C/R, knife-edged crankshaft; all work performed by Greeley Machine
* Fidanza aluminum flywheel, new OEM clutch & TOB (5th gen Civic spec)
* Greddy H/G, stock D16Y8 VTEC head, D17Y8 intake manifold (portmatched), B18 throttle
body, DC sports adjustable cam gear
* new water pump, timing belt, oil pan gasket, NGK spark plug wires/spark plugs, valve cover
gasket, all seals, etc.
* Aftermarket replacement radiator and new hoses.
* MSD 6A/Blaster SS coil ignition system, PG7 Integra ECU
* Apexi V-AFC Version II. 4-2-1 Hedman header, generic short ram intake with cone filter,
stock catalytic convertor, 2 ¼” custom exhaust with polished resonated tip. Car gets
32-35 mpg highway; should be better once it’s tuned.

Brakes:

* Goodridge stainless steel lines, Axxis Metal Master front pads.

Body:

* Repainted Viper red in 2002 (including lower plastic and bumper sections);
* OEM antenna location and license plate holes in front bumper filled.
* Custom cold air vent/tubing to intake area.
* Roof/sunroof area painted gloss black.
* 15% semi-metallic window tint, one piece rear (no seams).
* Rear wheel wells rolled.
* Brand new OEM-style carbon fiber hood available at additional cost.
* Windshield is PPG glass, replaced at time of bodywork.
* Both rear side windows removed and replaced with new OEM seals too.

Electronics:

* Pioneer/Infinity speakers, custom fiberglas .5 cubic ft. sealed 10” subwoofer enclosure (fits
flat under the rear carpet WITHOUT removal of the OEM temporary spare tire), MTX 275X
amplifier, amplified internal AM/FM antenna.
* Viper 800 alarm system with starter disable, horn and siren output, two door lock actuators
installed for keyless entry, timed headlight control.
* Hidden fuel cut switch and hood release cable rerouted to engine compartment for
additional security.

Wheels:

* OEM ’90-91 CRX Si 14” alloys with 185/60-14 M+S all seasons.
* 15”x 6” SSR Competition forged wheels (9 lb. Each) with 205/50-15 Falken Azenis
autocross tires (55-60% tread)
* Speedmaster SM-046 (SSR Comp copies), custom powdercoated matte black with 205/50-15 Kuhmo MX tires
* Keizer 13" x 8" aluminum autocross wheels with Hoosier 225/50-13, going to Kuhmo 235/45-13 V700's soon
* Also, sometimes I rock the GSR fat-fives from the wife's car too. =)

Misc:

* White gauge faces with dimmer, ’90-91 OEM taillights, clear side marker lens, clear front
bumper lens converted to function as both parking lights and turn signals, custom
powdercoated red valve cover.
* Custom blue LED "dome light" installed in roof seatbelt indicator pod

I've had the car advertised for sale on a few local forums for a month now, but since I've gotten no serious interest, I've now decided to keep the car, because as much as I'd like to have an extra $3K or so, honestly I can't afford to - I've got WAY too much money and love invested! Please look at it and like it - or hate on it. Your option.

Last edited:

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that HAS to put down some decent hp and sounds like fun to drive :thumbs up

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I like it alot, you get props on this one. Any times?

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nice ride man.

SpecialED

Honda Whore
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
92 4DoorSleeper said:
I like it alot, you get props on this one. Any times?
Thanks guys. No 1/4 mile times - I finished it sorta at the end of last summer - never got it to the dyno/track before the track closed.

It's about as strong as B16-powered CRX I think - it really needs a ZEX cam and some cam gear/fuel tuning to make it quick. A cam is only $300, but I'm just kinda out of money for this one.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
looks good man, keep up the good work.

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
SpecialED said:
Loving this picture... if only it was a lot clearer and a lil more light, I'd rock it on the desktop.

Nice car!

SpecialED

Honda Whore
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SiGSR said:
Loving this picture... if only it was a lot clearer and a lil more light, I'd rock it on the desktop.

Nice car!
Thanks . . . I couldn't figure out how to increase the exposure time on the digital camera to get more resolution, but even if I had, it prob. would have been blurry - didn't have a tripod.

red_EF9si

röckïn dä älmïghty ß16
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have those same ST sway bars, but if found them to be a bit on the stiff side. what setting do you have your rear one set at? im kinda wishing i would have just upgraded to 93 teg gsr sways.

SpecialED

Honda Whore
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
red_EF9si said:
i have those same ST sway bars, but if found them to be a bit on the stiff side. what setting do you have your rear one set at? im kinda wishing i would have just upgraded to 93 teg gsr sways.
Full stiff on the rear . . . I don't really care how bad it rides, the shocks and ride height ruin most of that already.
:D

I used to run 215/50-13 race tires so I had a lot of grip to work with. With the overly soft H&R springs (most guys who are serious in SM2 or CSP in 2nd gen CRXs run well over 400 lb/in rates front and rear), I tried to compensate with lots of bar.

I had a little toe-in on the rear to keep it from oversteering wildly. And stay on the gas too. ;)

42Steps

Welcome my son....
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thats a pretty nice looking Crux... :thumbs up

Keep up the good work.... ;)

Ace$nyper

very very sweet car.
how did your y8 intake mani go on mine f**ked my car up lol.

SpecialED

Honda Whore
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ace$nyper said:
how did your y8 intake mani go on mine f**ked my car up lol.
??? It bolts right on. The only problem I had was that I didn't realize the D16A6 fuel rail wouldn't fit the Y8 IM, so I had to get the Y8 fuel rail too. I also had to relocate the IAT (intake air temp sensor) to my intake tube, but that's about as complicated as it is.

Ace$nyper

SpecialED said:
??? It bolts right on. The only problem I had was that I didn't realize the D16A6 fuel rail wouldn't fit the Y8 IM, so I had to get the Y8 fuel rail too. I also had to relocate the IAT (intake air temp sensor) to my intake tube, but that's about as complicated as it is.
oh the IAT was what f**ked me i'm back ot my a6 mani now but soon back to that y8

Andrey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's very hot crx! Impressive mod list and good appearance!

SpecialED

Honda Whore
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks . . . more pics.

Man I wish I didn't have to sell this car! :(

Ace$nyper

sell one of your other cars trust me losing that rex will come back to haunt you EDs just stick in your blood.

42Steps

Welcome my son....
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Don't sell the Crux.... DONT DO IT!!!! I love CRXs... :drool:

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've always had a soft spot for the Crix....I wish I had some extra dough, I'd gladly take that puppy off your hands.
And, why do you have to sell it?