'89 Lx Cel

rpickle

5+ Year Member
Hi.

New car for me. It has 1596xx miles. I replaced the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, accessory belts, valve cover gaskets and the air filter. Cleaned and regapped the plugs to .041.

Runs fine. On my way to work yesterday morning and on the way home, the CEL came on solid. I counted ECU blinks, 1 and 16. The CEL resets when the car is turned off? Anyway, both times the light came on, I was around 70 MPH. This morning, the light didn't come on, but I intensionally stayed around 65MPH. On the way home I'll try the 70MPH thing.

This is throttle body injection. Code 16 is for the injector. Dirty? Fluke? Car runs great , even when the light came on.

Rick

90B16Ed

At Your Mom's House
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Does the CEL 1 come on when the car is first started, or when the car is running thru-out the day? If it stays on all the time then you might want to check the o2 sensor, reset the ECU and see if it goes away. If the lights only blinks one time and then goes away, that doesn't mean anything. Start it, let it run, if the light doesn't come on then take it from a drive til' it does and then read the CEL. Also, you might want to check to see if all the injector clips are connected properly and/or tightly.

To reset the ECU you need to disconnect the neg. battery terminal.

Thanks, Donn

rpickle

5+ Year Member
Thanks Don. As is was reading your post, I was wondering how I reset the ECU. Thanks for answering that!

I'll give it a try.

Rick

90B16Ed

At Your Mom's House
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Any luck, man?

Thanks, Don

rpickle

5+ Year Member
I haven't had time to look it over. No garage and rain tomorrow. I'll post back with what I find.

Appreciate it.

Rick

rpickle

5+ Year Member
I finally took a peek at the injector plugs. Popped each off and reseated them. Popped the neg. cable off of the battery for several minutes. On my second drive to work, the light came on after a few miles at highway speed. The light only comes on while at highway speeds. I can drive around all day in town and not trip the light. Once it is on, it stays on until the car is turned off. When I restart, the light is out until I get on the highway. I'll pull the o2 sensor next. I haven't looked at the code this time either.

Rick