90 civic with D16Y5 or 96 coupe SR with D16Y8?!

TheBanzaiBandit

Hi folks, I'm new to this site and this is my 1st post!

I'm currently the owner of a 96 civic coupe SR with the D16Y8 engine. I love this car and would never have considered selling or swapping it until I came across a matt black 1990 Civic, originally a 1.4 but had a D16Y5 engine fitted a few years back. The owner has done some serious work on it and claims it's putting out around 170bhp. I got talking to the owner and we've remaind friends ever since then. Today I got a call from him asking if I was interested in his Civic as he was looking to sell it after 14 years of owning it. When I told him I didn't really have the spare cash to hand I was told that he'd be interested in my 96 Coupe and if I'd be up for a swap. As things stand I've told him I'm interested but would obviously want to go over his car with a fine tooth comb and take it for a test drive.

I really want to know what you guys think as I'm meeting him tomorrow!

Should I go for the swap if everything appears to be ok!?

James315

170bhp i highly doubt it man but do what you think you should do i cant help you on that part becasue i partial to efs lol

TheBanzaiBandit

I thought 170bhp would be unlikely! Supposedly the engine has been ported and polished but I'm notto familiar with that?

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Two threads for this? Of course he would trade because he is getting one good deal. And all this is up to you its your car and you have to drive/own it. If that's the car you want go for it but as far as market value its a pretty bad deal for you, unless you pop the hood and there is a turbo done RIGHT.

TheBanzaiBandit

No turbo conversion done...I've seen under the hood ages ago and would've remembered that! I've also just been told it's running a Z6 engine not a Y5?....how you'd get that mixed up in the first place I don't know! Suppose it won't make that much of a difference anyway.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Either way unless you want that body style and are willing to take the loss of value on your car I would suggest against it.

TheBanzaiBandit

Thanks for your input! I've decided against it! Not willing to take on something that may be a whole load of problems especially when I know mine inside and out like the back of my hand!...I've invested to much money in it anyway to get it looking the way it does!