91 4dr Sedan: Cheapeast easiest motor swap?

maxsideburn

5+ Year Member
What would be the absolute easiest motor to swap into my 4dr sedan for some more power? And also would it work with my current ECU/harness and transmission. Thanks

(Tried searching, couldn't find any specific 91 sedan info)

maxsideburn

5+ Year Member
from what I've finally managed to find I take it the D16A6 would be the easiest? 16 more hp than my stock engine, and readily available from any 90-91 EX, correct?

What I really have interest in though is a ZC, but from what I can tell there are countless types of ZC motors. Which one, as in, what car would it have to come from, to fit directly into my car? thanks.

maxsideburn

5+ Year Member
ok I've been doing some more reading and ZC seems to be the way to go.

Now when I call someone to ask about buying one, which car do I say it is from? I need to know exactly which one it is that will fit the easiest into a 91 4 door.

4gcivic69

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
any zc will mount up they are all d series motors which is what you are replacing. where are you getting the motor from

maxsideburn

5+ Year Member
I have no idea, where would be the best place to look? Also do I just get the transmission that comes with it? And what about my current ECU? Is that ok?

4gcivic69

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well you want to search for jdm motors but you could try nippon motors as for the tranny you would want to find an si tranny but yours will work too and if you order your motor from online they should supply you with an ecu for the motor

CivicHX01

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the easiest and cheapest would be the d16a6

for a little bit more work and money you can do the sohc zc or the dohc zc

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the ZC didnt come in a car in this country...but if you go through a dealer for JDM motors i wouldnt expect to pay no more than 700 for the swap. now you have to do it yourself but they give you all thats needed

maxsideburn

5+ Year Member
allright cool I'm going to look into the ZC. I will most likely do that...unless I can find a low mileage D16A6 locally for really cheap, then I'll just do that and turbo it one day, either way I'll probably go with the Si transmission though.

BTW, what about clutches? Will the ones for my current transmission also work for the Si? Or will the Si ones work for my current transmission? Or neither are compatible?

4gcivic69

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dont think the clutches are compatable but get an aftermarket one just for perormance

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
D16A6= cheapest.

DOHC ZC would be worth the extra few $$'s though IMO

shop around and see if you can get one with the tranny. Less hassle

maxsideburn

5+ Year Member
Well here's my dilema, my car needs a clutch soon, as in real soon, but it will probably be at least a month before I can order the engine and transmission. You guys who know, please try to answer these questions for me.

1.) If I buy a stage I clutch for my current setup will it be compatible with the ZC? (in other words does the clutch have to be compatible with the transmission? or the motor?)

2.) If I buy an Si transmission soon and put it in with a new stage I clutch until I get the ZC will it work with my stock engine? And then work ok with the ZC?

Sorry for the newb questions, but I've never done a motor swap on a Honda before. I've changed motors, changed transmissions, but never did an actual swap on any Honda.

4gcivic69

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you know now that i think about it the clutch will fit both trannys the one that woulndt fit is the std clutch but your lx clutch will be compatiable with the si tranny so go ahead nd buy the stage one clutch

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no no you got it half right....the clutch fro ma STD will fit all models of civic and CRX but the only thing that matters is the years. an 88 clutch wont foit the 89-91 and vice versa. now the STD knuckles wont accept a five speed trans and axles. you must switch them out for sumthing different either a SI or LX orDX. even the EX sedan will fit but they require bigger front brakes and a minimum of a 14 inch wheel

4gcivic69

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh sorry i new sumthin wouldnt fit i thought it was the std clutch but now i remember seein your post about that my bad.. it is the 88 that doesnt fit

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but remember this dude is familliar with the 3rd gen accord as well as me....if you look at my thread about the 88 transmission you will find that you can use the 88 trans with all the other years. but it requires the 3rd gen accord clutch disc. just the disc not the pressure plate or the flywheel. but before you get any bright ideas...no you cannot use the accord transmission or flywheel! it just dont fit!

4gcivic69

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh no crazy ideas here i alreay have a 90 si tranny just gotta get axels and spindles for my std