91 4dr Sedan: Cheapeast easiest motor swap?

maxsideburn

5+ Year Member
rofl. Nice to see someone else that knows about 3Geez =) Anyway I think I got down what you guys are saying.

So if I buy the DOHC ZC motor for my car I can get an Si transmission (any year other than 88), and a Stage I clutch that will fit both my transmission and engine and the new transmission and engine (as long as the clutch is for newer than 88). Correct? So since I have a 91 I shouldn't have to worry about these compatibility issues as long as everything I get is from above 88, I think that's what you guys are trying to say. I just want to make sure and not buy stuff that won't work.

P.S. How do you think the ZC would be with my stock LX transmission?

4gcivic69

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes dont buy anything from 88.. sorry for the confusion i remeber reading his post but forgot some details.. the zc will do fine on it just wont be as quick as possible cuz the gear rations are longer than the si trannys

maxsideburn

5+ Year Member
Ok, well I think what I'm going to do for now is just get the DOHC ZC and a Stage I clutch, then I will upgrade to the CRX or Si transmission later.

So this should work:

DOHC ZC in my 91 LX 4dr 5spd
Should work with current tranny

But still when I go to order a clutch what do I get? Do I get one for a CRX? Civic Si? or Civic LX?

P.S. thanks for answering the newb questions

4gcivic69

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get a clutch for the civic they will all fit dont worry about the questiion i was in your possition a couple of months ago

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea all the CRX and civic clutches are the same as long as its not form an 88

maxsideburn

5+ Year Member
ok excellent, thanks guys. That's what I'm going to do. I'm going to do the motor swap now and put a new clutch, then I'll upgrade to the Si tranny when it's convenient.

maxsideburn

5+ Year Member
Allright, well where's the best and cheapest place to order a DOHC ZC? I saw www.hmotorsonline.com had them for $625 with the ECU, but I'm not sure if it will come with everything I need. Can someone more knowledgeable check it out for me and see if you think it's everything I will need, thanks.

4gcivic69

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats everything and even tho it says it only has like 35000 miles i would check and or change the rings gaslet spark plugs and those types of things

CivicHX01

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
maxsideburn said:
Allright, well where's the best and cheapest place to order a DOHC ZC? I saw www.hmotorsonline.com had them for $625 with the ECU, but I'm not sure if it will come with everything I need. Can someone more knowledgeable check it out for me and see if you think it's everything I will need, thanks.
HMO :thumbs up :thumbs up :thumbs up