'91 civic dx to si

johnc

5+ Year Member
Hello folks,
I am a new member to your club. I currently ride a '98 VFR 800i honda but am looking at getting a '91 civic dx. This has been fitted by its previous owner (a mechanic) with a '91 Si engine. I'm a little nervous, not being a mechanic, with mixing and matching and need some guidance here as to what to expect/watch out for. It has 80,000 plus km's on its Si engine without difficulty, according to the current owner. I have mixed/matched with motorcycles in the past and paid the price as equilibrium is upset. Do I have reason to be timid here?

johnc

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
check the wiring harness as much as you can. the only way to do what he did is to rewire the injectors...you wanna make sure he took the time to do it right. thats the only thing i'd pay close attention to. wiring problems are a nightmare if you didnt do the work yourself.

johnc

5+ Year Member
Hey Kyle,
Thanks for the reply. Wouldn't problems have shown up by now? (unless this owner is not informing me of the full story). As a precondition to sale, I am having a Japanese car mechanic of mine inspect the vehicle thoroughly.

Sincerely,
Johnc

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Why rewire injectors? Werent 1991 DX's DPFI also?

I think you should be okay. EF Si motors+ trannys are fun!

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you said that the guy was/is a mechanic so taking that into consideration i think that it will be a good car i mean mechanics are the ones who fix and make things go as intended so i would bet it was done right lol have fun, should be a lot!

johnc

5+ Year Member
Thankyou folks. I'm sure I'll be making a few posts as per recommended replacement parts.
For example:
Tire recommendations (around here we have some wet times so, in non-low profiles, what would you recommend for daily driving/not competition?)
Exhaust system recommendations.

sincerely,
JohnC

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Hey Kyle,
Thanks for the reply. Wouldn't problems have shown up by now? (unless this owner is not informing me of the full story). As a precondition to sale, I am having a Japanese car mechanic of mine inspect the vehicle thoroughly.

Sincerely,
Johnc
well its possible to half ass something and keep it running perfectly fine. but when it comes time for you to make upgrades/maintain the thing later you can run into problems.
Why rewire injectors? Werent 1991 DX's DPFI also?

I think you should be okay. EF Si motors+ trannys are fun!
DX's are DPFI, but he has a Si motor in it. Si's are MPFI.