91 Civic stuttering

Mortvos

5+ Year Member
I'm thinking it's my plugs and plug wires... but... thought I'd post here to get more advice. When idling my car stutters, and has even died. Usually if I'm at a red light holding in the clutch in 1st... if I'm in neutral it isn't so bad... could it be something more than plugs and wires? Like timing? Thanks!

90B16Ed

At Your Mom's House
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
maybe try adjusting the idle...? If it was timming it would do it wheather it is in gear or not.

Mortvos

5+ Year Member
s**t, idle, that's what I meant when I said timing... lol, excuse my noobness. Just got this car, after driving a 240sx... and just started getting into the whole tuner thing. = P

Not sure it's the idle though... when I press the gas into higher rpms it still stutters... like it's choking.. maybe fuel filter? O.o

bacon_bits

5+ Year Member
try replacing the distribuder roader

Mortvos

5+ Year Member
Yeah I'm thinking about replacing the whole thing, plugs, wires, cap... I don't really wanna mess with the button or the roader.. could it be anything other than this? Anything to do with the fuel?

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How many miles does it have on it? My 90 I just bought is doing something similar to this. I plan on it giving it a full tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve, adjust valves, etc..) this weekend since it is a holiday weekend. I have all the parts in my room waiting to be put on. I hope this helps.

You can try throughing some fuel injector cleaner in your tank for a few fillups. I usually make that standard practice when I buy a new old honda.

2-3 tanks of fuel injector cleaner and use Seafoam to clean out the break booster portion. Don't put anything into the oil. I'm always wary of that.

hondaboi95

5+ Year Member
hey i've got the same problem except that when my car sits it idles but when i'm rolling it stops.... after since i changed my intake manifold gasket it started to idle what can i do to make it stop??

Mortvos

5+ Year Member
How many miles does it have on it? My 90 I just bought is doing something similar to this. I plan on it giving it a full tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve, adjust valves, etc..) this weekend since it is a holiday weekend. I have all the parts in my room waiting to be put on. I hope this helps.

You can try throughing some fuel injector cleaner in your tank for a few fillups. I usually make that standard practice when I buy a new old honda.

2-3 tanks of fuel injector cleaner and use Seafoam to clean out the break booster portion. Don't put anything into the oil. I'm always wary of that.
Around 206,000... lol. I planned on doing the whole tune up thing this weekend as well. Hopefully that's all it needs... to fix this. I think I need to start putting good gas in it as well... there's a little clanking goin' on... will update once everything is done.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Around 206,000... lol. I planned on doing the whole tune up thing this weekend as well. Hopefully that's all it needs... to fix this. I think I need to start putting good gas in it as well... there's a little clanking goin' on... will update once everything is done.
Clanking? hmm might be valves. Adjusting them is not as hard as it sounds. I was overly intimidated, but when I adjusted them my confidence soared like a mother and I fixed a "valve like click and clanking problem.

I have 175,000 on mine...

Mortvos

5+ Year Member
Yeah... that's what I'm thinking... how'd you adjust your valves? I guess I can add that to my list of things to do to it this weekend.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when one of my valves cam loose it sounded like a hard ass knock

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You have to use a gapper tool (not sure propper name) but its like 2-3 dollars at pepboys. It is more of an intermediate job. I have never done anything related to the engine (other than spark plugs, etc..) so I got freaked out a little. THe honda service has more in depth info on this and it should be easily downloadable from some searching on this site or some torrent sites.

Mortvos

5+ Year Member
Ah ok... cool. Would you happen to know a way to change the spark plugs without taking the head off? They are pretty far down in there...