91 EF Hatch Build

1991CivicEf9

Cruiser
Whats up everybody. First off, this is going to be a semi-slow build thread. But it will progress over time as I get paid more, and of course, more often. :lol:

About 4-5 months ago, I bought a stock 91 civic hatch. It's teal green, automatic, had 194k original miles, with a blown head gasket and probably warped head.

Body is nearly perfect with only one small dent in the rear, and two or three tiny door dings. Interior is immaculate except for the rip on the drivers side headrest, and at the top of the rear left seat.

Then I thought, I have no funds to fix this poor guy.

After a month or two of searching for a job (and my poor hatch chillin in the driveway) , I finally found one. Minimum wage, but it's still a job. So the flow starts coming in.

First thing I did was buy a used motor, d15b2 stock replacement just to get em' running. Then some small things from there: Amber corner and bumper lights, front lip, battery, clay bar kit, and of course, stickers.

Then I put a custom system in it. 10'' Kicker CVR sub with a Performance Teknique 250w amp, two Kicker 6.5 mid's in the rear, and a custom floor board, box, and cargo cover to go with it.

And that's pretty much as far as I've gotten so far. My next big investment will probably be manual conversion. I also need a new oil pan (getting one next saturday).

Pics from beginning to current -

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thats super clean!

Glwb!

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
Man, she is Mint!.... I would also do the standard conversion, More FUN!! :D

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Very nice find, looks clean, straight and one of the best colors for that generation.

I would:
- Have not invested in the ridiculous EF9 decal.
- Auto-->manual conversion(which I see you plan on)
- Read up and gather parts for going from DPFI---->MPFI.
- Find a set of decent 90/91 SI front and rear seats.

1991CivicEf9

Cruiser
Very nice find, looks clean, straight and one of the best colors for that generation.

I would:
- Have not invested in the ridiculous EF9 decal.
- Auto-->manual conversion(which I see you plan on)
- Read up and gather parts for going from DPFI---->MPFI.
- Find a set of decent 90/91 SI front and rear seats.
Well for the decal, me and my buddy have them on both of our cars, just one of those things.

Auto to Manual is my main concern right now, other than my leaking oil pan. After I fix my oil pan, I will do the conversion which will probably be about 2 weeks or a month. By the way, anybody know how much you think it would cost to get all of the parts for auto to manual? trans, shift linkages, ect.?

For the DPFI>MPFI, I plan on doing a mini-me swap after i do my manual conversion. Then down the line i will get a GSR or a Type-R, If all goes well.

For the seats, I want the CRX Si seats because of the shape and cloth of them. I don't really like the hatch Si front seats because of the fabric, but that's just me. Also, i'm not sure if the civic and crx Si front seats are the same shape and what not? Haven't really done much research.

If there's anything you recommend doing, please feel free to say, I like being open minded to ideas :D

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looks good man, clean car

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
By the way, anybody know how much you think it would cost to get all of the parts for auto to manual? trans, shift linkages, ect.?

For the DPFI>MPFI, I plan on doing a mini-me swap after i do my manual conversion. Then down the line i will get a GSR or a Type-R, If all goes well.

For the seats, I want the CRX Si seats because of the shape and cloth of them. I don't really like the hatch Si front seats because of the fabric, but that's just me. Also, i'm not sure if the civic and crx Si front seats are the same shape and what not? Haven't really done much research.

Auto to manual swap:
Depends on where you source the parts from. Cheapest will def be a pick n pull salvage yard.
Nice DIY:
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=5421

DPFI to MPFI will definately be required if you plan on going with any sort of swap.

3.Crx seats do not directly bolt up to the Civic. You will need to do a fabric swap. Put the Crx fabric over the Civic seat frame, both seat pan and seat back.
How to get the seats apart:
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6043

1991CivicEf9

Cruiser
Fixed my oil pan, it doesn't leak all over my drive way anymore, finally.

So i've figured out what i'm going to do with swap-wise. I'm going LS manual swap. Then BAR it (because I live in Cali) and then go ls-v. Any tips/suggestions on well, anything about it? Would be appreciated, thanks!

1991CivicEf9

Cruiser
Update: Car throws check engine when i'm driving on the freeway at about 65-70. Code is two long and 16 short. Is that two diff codes or one? Also, It wouldn't pass smog, and it's stocker than you'd get from the damn factory. Any ideas would be great!