92 civic manual making whizzing noise near transmission

drknght9

I have a 92 civic dx 1.5L manual, I recently had the transmission rebuilt, all clutch work, pilot bearing, clutch release bearing, clutch master cylinder kit. by a shop. cost me around $1800. just today my car makes a whizzing noise.(as if you take a piece of soft metal to a grinder) I noticed that the noise stops when i have the clutch disengaged(pressed down on the pedal). The noise continues when i am in neutral, in 1-5th gear or reverse. I took it back to the shop and the called and told me that its " The Clutch Slave Cylinder. The bearing is worn out. $200 for parts/labor" Looked on line for the part bought it for $20, and installed and bled out the clutch line myself. Still makes noise...I did some research online and I feel like it may be the Clutch release bearing..
1. What do yall think is the problem?
2. Do you think this shop didnt do something right or didnt replace a part when they said they did? and is just trying to get more money out of me? Thanks everyone! hope to hear back soon!

White EG1

Don't mean to put you down or anything. But for 1800 you could have swapped a d16z6 engine and transmission for that price! Or atleast in washington. But anyways...

I believe its the input shaft in the transmission since you didn't mention they replaced it. Which they should have. My sol makes that noise all the time stops when you push in the clutch, since you say its only when its the clutch isnt pressed it has to be the input shaft, try this listen to see if the noise is more apparent in 1 and 2nd gear, if it is def your input shaft, I would be going back to that shop if I were you.

BTW clutch master cylinders don't make that much noise when going out. You might get some air leak sounds or even a squeaky clutch pedal but not the noise you described. Hope this helps ya.

woopah

Second on the input shaft bearing. It's fairly common on them specially in the 92-95 range given age and mileage now. 1800 bucks for a clutch and they can't diag this? I would stop going to that shop. Also it's under 100 for the part but you have to open the transmission to get to it.

xHanzJay

Lulzaflopter
anyone know what happens when the input shaft bearing fails? transmission lock up?

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using TappaFresh.