92 Civic starts, runs a few minutes and cuts off

cspralling

5+ Year Member
Hi all, any and all help would be appreciated. I started having problems with my 92 Civic. It wasn't getting any fuel. Had the fuel pump and filter changed. It started and ran fine for a few weeks. Then it started acting up again. Had the distributer replaced. Now, it starts when it wants to it seems, will run for a few minutes and cut off, as if it is not getting fuel. I just checked the main fuel relay, but how do I know if it is bad or not? Should I be placing a jumper wire in there somewhere?..

Stickyittoyou

5+ Year Member
I'm having the same issue with my car.

I have a D16Z6 in my 1994 Honda Civic EX. I changed the distributor, rotor, plugs (w/ wires), and fuel filter. The filter gets pressure from the pump.

The car starts up whenever it wants to... it became worse after a matter of two weeks. I would be driving and the car would just instantly drop in RPM's. Then it would per say "pop" out of it. The car would jolt before loosing RPM's and then it would just jolt again and the RPM's would be where they should be.

My guess it's an electrical issue, due to the jolting that occurs...

As of right now... my car is NOT starting at all... I hope to get my uncle over here to check on it. Could be in the coil... I know the starter is not the problem because it is turning the belts and all.

After I find out what the heck is wrong with the car I am getting a timing belt change.

I found this video on youtube. This is the issue that mine undergoes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9zcZAGjnaQ&feature=related

vtec4me

5+ Year Member
To check main relay-----Located under dash near hood release listen or touch the relay. Turn igniton key to on but don't start the car. The relay should click three times then your fuel pump will turn on. The main relay can still fail though after it warms up because a loose connections inside. This is why somtimes your car will run fine then die after a few minutes.