93' Civic Ex D15z6 reliability rebuild... build lol!!

zeikial2000

5+ Year Member
It's been a loooooong time guys and have long since sold my Em2/Eg1 but I'm back and in the D series game once again, here is my current build.

Ok so I presently drive an 08' SI sedan but I also bought a 93' ex coupe. My reason for buying the coupe had a couple determining factors, one of which being that after owning my em2 I came to the realization that I don't generally like any Civic model past the year 2000 including my SI. Secondly I had to take a 6 year loan out on my SI and I can't stand car payments but at the time I bought it the car was practical/logical without getting into the long drawn out story as to why it was practical/logical.

Anyways id like to get rid of my SI but the coupe's z6 leaks and burns oil like no other so me and my buddy spoonfedcivic/Josh have taken it upon ourselves to rebuild a reliable slightly more peppy motor for it while I've still got another means of transportation. Originally I bought a D15b2 shortblock for $200 only to find out the block was junk :-\

Thankfully a guy Josh knows gave us a good deal on a B7 block and crank , and a neighbor of Josh's had a z6 head laying around that he sold me for $80, and I purchased a rebuild kit for $180. Now onto pics =)

Had the block honed and the new pistons pressed into the rods

Installed the the new main bearings, thrust washers, rear main seal, reused the oil pump from the b2, replaced the oil pump seal, and installed the crank

Installed new rod bearings and pistons along with the girdle and sump from the b2

zeikial2000

5+ Year Member
Put the new oil pan gasket on, cleaned up and installed the oil pan from the b2, then taped off the block for paint

Finished product

zeikial2000

5+ Year Member
Found a gold mine at Pick N Pull and scooped up a Honda Vtec valve cover, z6 intake manifold/throttle body, and a Vtec solenoid. Gettn closer!

zeikial2000

5+ Year Member
Went ahead and painted the valve cover, I think it turned out decent

Was going to polish the H, Vtec, and Honda but I think I like it better this way

Put on a new alternator, water pump, belt tensioner, and swiped a coolant passage/thermostat housing from Pick N Pull.

Got my head and intake manifold back from the machine shop the head and IM were cleaned, the head was also milled flat and reassembled for me.

Put a 3 layer Y8 head gasket on and torqued down the head, then replaced the Z6 cam gear with a Y7 cam gear I picked up a while back ago and mocked everything up.

zeikial2000

5+ Year Member
Just got all new ngk plugs, ngk plug wires, cap and rotor, distributor O-ring, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, and Blox magnetic oil/transmission drain plugs. Stage 2 clutch and 8lb. Lightweight flywheel should be in tomorrow.

We came to the realization after trying to time the motor that a B2 crank pulley and cog gear will not work, so as soon as we locate a B7 cog and crank pulley this motor will be ready to drop in!! =)

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Definitely making good progress. What is it you don't like about your 08 si?

zeikial2000

5+ Year Member
Definitely making good progress. What is it you don't like about your 08 si?
Well like I said I've never really liked any civic body style past the 6th generation, and I am not a 4 door fan either. Even though I have 2 kids I'm all about coups, and I'm passionate about the older model civics but when I look at my SI I'm just like meh...

Love the motor just not the body style.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
I like my 8th gen four door better than my 6th gen I have a love hate relationship with it. It loves to hate me.

zeikial2000

5+ Year Member
Stage 2 clutch and 8lb. Lightweight flywheel showed up, and picked up the correct crank and cog yesterday so hopefully ill be getting this motor finished up tonight =)

zeikial2000

5+ Year Member
Thanks guys!

Picked up a limited edition Benen strut bar the other day to go along with the freshly rebuilt motor when its done =)

Mocked on the car

zeikial2000

5+ Year Member
Thanks! Ill be cleaning the engine bay and swapping the motor in this weekend so the bar will look even better along with some Innovative solid mounts I got from a friend ;)

Loaf31

SOHC Sedan Swag
Looks great! Love the paintjobs. Looks like time well spent! can't wait to see finished product =)