93 Civic - Hood won't latch shut

NandoKommando

So I bought this Civic about 2 weeks ago and the battery died on me. I couldn't open the hood with the latch so I pulled on the cable with some pliers and got it to open. I opened up the hood grabbed the battery, replaced it, and upon closing the hood it wouldn't close all the way. I'm guessing the cable is still pulling the latch somewhere. I pushed the cable back from inside the car where it connects to the latch; however this did nothing, it must be caught up somewhere else. Has anyone else run into this problem? I would really like to close my hood, but don't want to take everything apart just to follow a cable.

JeffBel

Registered VIP
Im guessing my car had the same problem. They cut the cable and screwed it into the lower rad support. Ghetto but it works

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The latch could be gunked up. I've never had issues opening my hood but I have had an issue with closing and the latch not locking it shut. I ended up taking the latch out and soaking it in brake cleaner. Put it back on and havn't had an issue since.

Ek_Rider

looks likke the lactch is still closed id spray some wd-40 then lube it up and pull the cable agian then latch your hood

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
After you try cleaning it up, you always want to keep moving parts lubed up as well. Keeps them in good, constant, working order . White lithium grease is ideal. Makes a mess though. WD-40 is more of a generic substance. A lot of people mistake WD-40 for something it's not. For specific applications like lubricating a door hinge or hood latch, you'd be better off with white lithium grease.

Shinta

5+ Year Member
Might be a dumb suggestion but have you made sure the latch spring is working or that it's even there? Happened to mine so just wondering if you checked that all part are in working order

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
every 5th gen i have ever had grew this problem, to get it closed put your finger on the LEFT side, ther is a little flat part that the cable attaches to. push that down and to the right, its on a swivel so its a natural movement, ie counter clockwise. i have tried a lot of different lube options but it always seems to gum up. best option is to replace the latch.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had this same problem with my trunk latch on my '96 coupe.
Took the latch out, took it apart, cleaned it and lubed it up.
Works now.

TalkJDM

when i had bought my EH2 i had the same problem, i went ahead and replace the whole latch and cable, it took me about a hlf hr to do cause of the left fender but whn i had replaced it, my hood closed w/o a problem.

NandoKommando

every 5th gen i have ever had grew this problem, to get it closed put your finger on the LEFT side, ther is a little flat part that the cable attaches to. push that down and to the right, its on a swivel so its a natural movement, ie counter clockwise. i have tried a lot of different lube options but it always seems to gum up. best option is to replace the latch.
Easy fix, thanks for the solution. It took me less then a minute to locate that flap and push it in. I'll try cleaning it up, or replacing it for a more permanent solution sometime.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Easy fix, thanks for the solution. It took me less then a minute to locate that flap and push it in. I'll try cleaning it up, or replacing it for a more permanent solution sometime.
glad i could help! even though my diy directions were a bit wonky lol.