93 civic starting problem

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
got a 93 civic dx 5 speed, when i go to crank the car and turn the key over all it does when i have it fully turned and holding is run the fuel pump the whole time. Doesnt try to crank the car over or anything, used to have to wiggle the key to get it to start but all of a sudden it does this. Replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch and check every one of the fuses. Any help would be appreciated.

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
My manual for my 96' says:
1. battery terminals loose or corroded
2.battery discharged or faulty
3.clutch not fully engaged ( also could be the switch that tells the computer this, which is somewhat common)
4.broken, loose, or disconected wiring in the starting circuit
5.started motor pinion jammed in flywheel ring gear
6.starter solenoid faulty
7.starter motor faulty
8.ignition switch ( you have been through this!!)
9.starter pinion or flywheel teeth worn or broken.

Like I said, this is for a 96', but it should be similar!
I hope it was some help,
Scott

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks man, im going to start going down that list and marking things off, kind of weird though it did crank when i giggled the key around a bit and i drove it somewhere and it wont start now.

Tre Jones

might not work but try tapping the starter lightly with like a wrench...but if it works it's only a temporary fix

RonJ

Banned
A common cause for the problem you are having is that the rubber stopper (red arrow) that presses on the safety switch at the top of the clutch pedal has broken and fallen out:

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The switch itself actually has a bolt in it pressing down the switch permanently from the previous owner. I drove it like that for awhile im not sure if thats a problem or not

RonJ

Banned
Check to see whether the bolt is loose or has fallen off.

Do you have a multimeter or test light?

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just about to go check that. I have both but there in my box at work, ill be sure to grab them tomorrow.

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Checked the bolt in the switch, seems fine. On another note, the check engine light comes on around 8 seconds while I hold the key over. Not sure if that would help or not with diagnosing the problem.

RonJ

Banned
Have a buddy hold the key in ON(III) while you test for battery voltage at the starter solenoid connection using the negative battery terminal as ground.

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I feel like a dumbass lol. Had a wire loose at the starter, put it back on and fixed it. But now when it warms up idle starts going from 1k to 1500 rpms constantly. Ive seen this on a lot of hondas but not real sure what it is.

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Been reading might be because the rad is about half low on coolant from when I took the rad off to put the support on.

DaOne

Its probably air in the cooling system.
Just use the air bleeder screw, look for it by the top radiator hose.unscrew it while engine is running untill just coolant starts flowing out.

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
Try cleaning the IACV, the link is in RonJ's signiture.... Like I said I dont know a whole lot about this, lol, im 16 and have little knowledge about this stuff, I just heard this could be the issue from other members on here!

IACV- Idle Air Control Valve- which would be a possibility since your problem is in the low/ idle rpm's area!
Even if it's not the IACV, it will never hurt to give her a good cleaning! =)

RonJ

Banned
Its probably air in the cooling system.
Just use the air bleeder screw, look for it by the top radiator hose.unscrew it while engine is running untill just coolant starts flowing out.
Bleeding the cooling system may take 20-30 minutes.

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push the dash heater lever/knob to MAX heat.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below (hint: the bleed bolt is located where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine):