93 Civic steering tilt wont lock

JoshEJ1

My coupe has this issue that the steering tilt wont lock properly. The tilt adjuster does in fact lock in place but leaves the steering wheel with a good amount of play in it. I will have it locked in the position I desire and I can still move the wheel up and down a bit while locked, for example like when I make a U turn it will have a lot of play moving up and down while locked and it actually ends up freeing itself from the locked position after moving the wheel around like that a bit. I figure it must be like a losse bolt or something but I have no idea as to which or what I'm looking at to fix it. Any advice greatly appreciated

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
I've never personally heard of this issue.. ever.. but I'd suggest taking apart the plastic that covers the steering column and start looking around to see how the lock mechanism works. Maybe someone else can have more input than me? I seriously have never even heard of this story, but the best bet is to start looking around for yourself and possibly posting some pictures also?