93 Civic VTI a bit of advice

sandy2009

5+ Year Member
Hi guys

just joined the forums and im looking for a bit of help, firstly ive just bought a 93 civic VTI (jap import) 1.5L and i have noticed theres a bit of black smoke/blue smoke when i give the car a bit of a boot so to speak, looking around google ppl seem to suggest its running rich, ill be honest i know nothing about cars really and im wondering if its a fairly easy job to fix?

also the speedo light doesnt seem to work on the dashboard, and i was considering upgrading/modding the lights so they have a blue backlite look, but im not sure what bulbs they use, could anyone advise me? all i see on ebay is H5, T7 etc.. and it makes no sense :P

cheers for the help guys
Sandy

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Black smoke means gas, you were right about the running rich part. Blue smoke means you're burning oil, which can mean bad piston rings. "Speedo" lights are easy to replace, just take out a couple of screws, pull out the gauge cluster and replace the burnt light bulbs in the back, the clerk at a local auto parts store can probably tell you which ones you need. Welcome to CC.

sandy2009

5+ Year Member
thank you for the reply Kensai

its booked in for the MOT tomorrow so ill speak to the guy and see what he suggests.

Great forum keep up the good work
Thanks again
Sandy

sandy2009

5+ Year Member
one more quick question,

ive just been looking online and it says that for the car to pass it MOT it needs to be able to be opened from the inside and the out, opens fine from the inside but not the out, does anyone know where i might be able to get a guide on taking the door off and checking the other lock as it doesnt open from the outside?

cheers again.
Sandy

Midnight_EG

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Actually no, a car is requiered only to be able to be opened from the inside if its the boot or back doors, i think, i know its right for england, and by you saying mot i guess you're english?

Midnight_EG

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah I'm reading now that if it's the boot it only has to be able to be opened from the inside.

sandy2009

5+ Year Member
the boot opens fine, but its the left hand side passenger door, that wont open, well from the outside anyways.

sandy2009

5+ Year Member
well if failed the MOT, but its nothing major =) just the door, front brake pads and bush's so it should be fairly cheap to fix,

my next question is, how do i get to the dashboard lights at the back? i want to add some blue ones, but have no idea how to get into the thing =)

ropeadope14

5+ Year Member
haha english people everywher in this thing lol to get to the lights of the guage cluster you have to take it out. its not a hard job just removing the plastic cover is tricky because its so easy to break so be careful. i hated MOTs lol i live in america now and u can have your car falling apart and they will still pass the inspection.