93 CX Hatch, it's going to be a long journey

a.simmons2002

Hey what's up CC, I'm still really new to the forums but since I'll be doing work on this 93 cx hatch 5speed I thought I may as well start a thread and show off how it looks now and maybe talk a little bit about what I have planed for it along with a few problems that I've encountered so far. Since buying it I've only put a new battery, front break pads (stock breaks), spark plug wires, air filter, and oil change.

I'm currently having a problem with my speedometer. Not sure if it's the VSS or the cluster, but the needle doesn't move off 0mph the odo and trip still works (sometimes). Also it some times will not turn over or make any noise at all when trying to turn it on. Maybe the sensor on the clutch or an ignition problem, still to be determined.

So as for the future of this ride I'm not sure what I may do under the hood just yet I'm more interested in fixing the exterior and making sure it runs good stock. Once I do start fixing the appearance of it here are just a few things I've been looking into getting:
- Projector headlights
- Red / Clear tail lights
- Shaving the door / fenders (not sure what it's called, the black bumper thing that goes through the middle of the door)
- Lowering
- Paint....one day...

So yeah, that should be it for now...I'll get more pics of the interior and under the hood in the next day or so there will be something to look back on after mods have been made.

Any advice or input is always welcome.

Parts missing/broken from the steering wheel.

SpoofMastaFly

Pull the VSS off the transmission, its right under the intake manifold. Make sure there is a little dowel between the sensor and the transmission. If not, thats why your speedo isn't working. As for the odometer no idea, maybe look into replacing the cluster.

a.simmons2002

Thanks SpoofMastaFly, I have been trying to find a video on where it is located but after I read this and went to take a look at the car I found it pretty easily. As soon as I get off work tomorrow morning I'm headed to the auto parts store to pick up the new VSS. All though I do plan on getting an SI cluster at some point just because I don't really want to be rice with a tach sitting on my dash.

a.simmons2002

So after getting back from AutoZone, I put a new fuel filter in and the new VSS. Took it out for a drive and the speedo needle still didn't move one bit. So I decided to take off the plastic cowl that covers the cluster and take a closer look at the cluster. What I ended up finding was the two screws missing to hold the cowl on, one of the screws to hold the actual cluster and then I noticed that the two small screws that hold the 0-120mph face on where gone. So I suppose I can reinstall the old VSS and get my $90 back and put that towards a new to me si cluster. The connection to the VSS was dusty on the outside but no corrosion.

My phone is taking to long to send the pics to my email and I got off work at 7am, still haven't slept. So I'll post up the pics of the cluster later tonight or tomorrow. If anyone has any advice on this, I welcome it.

a.simmons2002

Sorry about the pictures being so big, I'm not sure how to make them smaller when I add the link. But here is a pic you can see its missing the one of the screw and also the screws on the speedo face.

New pads and spring kit for a safer ride til I can get a new break set up.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Take pictures with a smaller res setting. 600 x 400 or what ever. I shoot one step above the smallest which is perfect for posting online. No need to take and post a high def picture of your fuel filter LOL

Good luck on the build :thumbs up

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
welcome to the forum! Gotta ask, what's up with the hood? Maybe it's just the angle, but it kinda looks like the bottom edge of the hood has been shaved off?

a.simmons2002

Thanks, I'll have to take a look on my phone or photobuckt for picture size settings. I need to fix that on any other pics I post so they don't take so much space up.
As for the hood, nothing has been shaved off.... the kid I bought the car had hit someone so the front bumper and lights sit about 1/4 inch off of where they should be. Also he must have thought it would be cool to paint a grey/silver area on it hahah.
Thanks for the luck civicfan, I'm going to need it to turn this ugly duckling into a beautiful swan.=)