93 Del Sol Project

barrett

Registered VIP
Hey guys. Recently I picked up a 93 Del Sol Si from a buddy and started to do some recovery work on it. It's going to be a long road. There is random wires, hail damage, little rust, and an idle problem. Right now the plan is to get it running smoothly again, fix the body work, then turbo the D. Heres some pics!

When I bought it

Holy wiring nightmare batman

Off with the ricey tail lights

on with OEM lights

fixed wiring nightmare (wireless door opener + alarm system + radar sensor)

sanded dents in trunk, and previous spoiler mounting holes

turbo with external wastegate

emerican

Registered VIP
looking good man
Whats your power goal with the boosted d?

barrett

Registered VIP
i've heard that upwards of 300 you lose traction so probably somewhere around 250-300.

I'm hoping I can get it done this summer. Even if its not boosted, just so i can actually drive it around and such. i finally think i got the electrical worked out yesterday. now have to finish the body work and paint it. then think about boosting it.

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
GL on your build man...

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a MINT red targa top, and a full center console that all works with ITR red stitched boot.... if you're interested ill sell them for CHEAP.

good project man! i miss my sol.

barrett

Registered VIP
send me a pm with some pics of the console, the targa top i already have is in pretty decent shape. i just have to sand it down.

so.. todays progress. ended up driving 9 total hours for a manifold, turbo, BOV, boost controller, and intercooler. purchased for $260. will attempt to fit it on the car on wednesday.

now that the electrical is done, next comes sanding the entire car and getting ready for paint. then boost.

sent away my money for a set of 4 15x7 +32 3 piece carving starks. with 195/50/15 tires. should be here in a month or two.

barrett

Registered VIP
between end of school and work i got some stuff done. i removed the passenger door, and a bunch of weather stripping to get it ready for paint.

and sent away my money for a set of rims

barrett

Registered VIP
about 250-300 at the wheels. any more then that and i'll lose traction.

i want to be finished paint and running smoothly by the end of july. have a show I want to take it to. hopefully i can finish boost by the end of summer after the show.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've always though a del sol would be an absolute blast as a project car. Good luck.

barrett

Registered VIP
thanks man. i still have a long way to go, but so far its been a lot of fun to do in my spare time. although i haven't really done much difficult stuff yet. it'll come soon.

tonight i don't work, so i think i'm going to try to tackle the idle problem. clean the IACV and adjust the idle screw. see if that helps. if not then on to the FITV.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn can't wait to see this thing looking hot. U keeping it green?

barrett

Registered VIP
sadly no. i found out yesterday that apparently a drug dealer in town used to drive this.. and cops know it... so i'm repainting it Dyno Blue Pearl from the 09 Civic Si.

barrett

Registered VIP
slight update.

cleaned IACV and tested. still has the idle problem. began taking FITV off, then coolant started leaking a bit so i stopped. forgot to take off the lines. oops. also sanded down driver door a bit, and both front fenders and sanded two big dents down to the metal so i can fill it with bondo.

didn't get too much time to work on it, had to do an oil change on my FA5 first.

oh. also test fit the intercooler and made marks where i need to drill so i can screw the intercooler to the car. and relocated the horns so the intercooler fits.

found out some interesting things today. first, it has lowering springs on it, what brand is unclear, they are red so maybe skunk2. we'll see when my new rims come in and i put them on. also, whoever had the car before me did something to bypass the clutch when starting. weird. not sure if thats healthy or no so i'll just leave it i guess.

emerican

Registered VIP
i know people that have the clutch bypassed like that so you can just crank the car no matter if its in or not and they have been like that for forever so i dont think it will hurt anything if it was done correctly.

barrett

Registered VIP
ah wonderful =) i like it when i don't have to fix things that previous owners did.

little more sanding, some bondo work, more sanding and its ready for paint. have buddies with the compressor, gun air line, and one guy has tons of primer and clear so i only need to buy the color =) saves me money.

just need the darn engine running properly first.. hopefully when the IACV dries out its all clean and fixes the problem. however i have a bad feeling that isn't the problem tho.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Could be the FITV. That was the problem on my car. The IACV was cleaned, throttle body cleaned, found out it was a loose FITV.