93 honda hatch backfires and has no power

hatchlife49120

Okay so I have a 93 honda civic hatch with a b series engine in it. So I had it in storage all winter an got it out an noticed that it was backfireing an when I took it down the road it was like it had no power an 5th gear was super weak any ideas? Im thinking fuel filter or fuel pump I jus wanna hear other peoples imput thanks!

Kenneth

5+ Year Member
Gonna need a lot more info. New gas? Have you checked the plugs, wires, distributor? Timing? We're left to assume, that it was running good when it was last driven. However at a guess I'd say, based on what you posted, and in the absence of necessary info. Sounds like gas has gone bad. Anyway it goes, I'd get it outta there, put in new, along with something to help clean out the system. Then run it as much as possible, see if it helps. And check the other stuff, and hope it's not something more expensive, like a clogged injector. Let us know ...Good luck

hatchlife49120

Has new gas all new tune up wires plugs everything and oil an I had got the car from a friend right before winter hit cuz he owed me money an he said timing was recently done but not 100% on if thats true or not

And I cant pull cel codes because theres nothing to plug the reader into.

Last edited by a moderator:

Honda9206

Working on the 92 DX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
And I cant pull cel codes because theres nothing to plug the reader into.
Well If it was me. I would start on the cheap side and work my way up. Is it hard to crank and how is the idle?

How much did you run it before winter storage? Where are you and how cold is winter in your area? Was your storage unit heated?

The reason for asking is you can build up condensation in the fuel lines and gas tank over long periods of times of sitting. Especially in various weather conditions. I have a 91 Z28 that had the same issue. It sat for a long period of time literally for a year from summer to winter to summer. it was extremely hard to crank at first. Ran rough when I drove then died. Had it towed back to the house. Could not figure it out. Bought some fuel cleaner and water treatment and poof back to normal.

hatchlife49120

Im not sure I had just got it this winter starts up first try just when I drive it it feels like it has no balls like it should an after its warmed up it it idles at 1k rpms

RonJ

Banned
Check the mechanical timing. It may be off by a tooth on the timing belt.

The service connector for pulling CEL codes is located above the ECU behind the passenger kick panel.

Also check whether any sensor connectors are swapped.

hatchlife49120

Okay so I figured out what was wrong so ill post so if other people have this problem I hope it helps them

Well I checked into it an the timing was fine but I checked compression an figured out it had bent valves/ bad valves