'94 Civic DX Coupe floor wet after rain

H-man

I have a 1994 honda civic dx coupe. (no sunroof). After long rains, when the car has been parked, the drivers side floor becomes very wet (closest to the door). Actually it damn near floods outs. The water also makes its way to the floor behind the seat also. Sometimes, this also happens on the passenger side, but it's normally always on the drivers side.

So, after reading many forums, it sounds like it could be many things: Possibly worn door seals, clogged drains, etc. Does anyone have a similar experience with this and found any solutions? If it's clogged drains, where are they and how to I get to them?

P.S. Recently, I've started to have water drip down onto the passenger front seat as well. This obviously is a weather stripping problem on THAT side, but my main concern is all the water on the floor on the drivers side.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

civicSIcoupe

All Day, Every Day
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hop in the car, have a buddy hose the car of around the door and all the seats into the cabin (like a lot of f**king water) and locate where it first becomes wet/damp. from there you may have to pull up some carpet, and trace the water back to its original source and BAM theres your problem. do that for any places you spot leaks

xWIREMANx

Sounds like it may be coming from a bad seal on the antenna for the radio. If that leaks it comes right down the A pillar and into the car.

GiffyStyle

Sounds like it may be coming from a bad seal on the antenna for the radio. If that leaks it comes right down the A pillar and into the car.
I second that. And possibly bad door seals aswell considering the amount of water inside and the passenger side is going aswell.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm having this EXACT same issue on my 97 dx...

tenzo

check your exterior vent cover. were your windshield wiper motor is located.
i had a rust spot were the water was going threw once. and or check the right above the ac motor to see if theirs any broken seals.

cantonboi

Same here, but I haven't tried looking for a solution yet. Been raining nonstop, so i'm sure it's soaked...:x

here's the best solution:
There are two ways that water could enter the way you described. The most likely way is if one or both of the "air outlet assemblies" are either loose, broken, or missing. The other way is that water gets in behind one or both of the tail light assemblies. In both cases the water will enter the spare tire well from behind the plastic housings.

The "air outlet assembly" is a small black rectanglar plastic piece with a rubber flapper that lets air out of the interior space between the inter and outer body panels. These assemblies can be easily damaged by even a mild rear-end collision. They are located in the body behind the rear bumper, below each of the tail lights. They are difficult to see. The good news is they are cheap and easy to install. Ask for Honda part number 75450-SR3-000 and they only cost $14.04 each. The same number fits both sides, but they will probably have to be special ordered. From underneath the car they install from "inside" the body and just snap into place with the "scoop" pointing down. A bad air outlet assembly is the most likely source of the leak.

The other possibility is that the tail light assemblies may be loose and water could be getting in behind them. Each is held on by (4) small nuts. It is a lot easier to get to them by removing the rear speakers and then the speaker bezel (housing). There are only three screws on each side which hold on the housing. That is easier than trying to go through the little access panel that is used to change the bulbs. Unplug the light socket and use an 8MM socket to remove the 4 nuts. The entire tail light assembly will come right off. Clean both the metal body and the tail light assembly thoroughly (you might be surprised how much dirt there is). Then use some clear silicone caulking, the kind that doesn't get hard, to make a small bead on the old foam gasket. You can get a small tube of the caulking from a home supply store (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) for $3 or $4. Then re-install the assembly, being careful not to tighten the nuts too tight. You can then use the silicone caulk again between the edge of the tail light and the metal body in the rain gutter along the side of the hatchback opening (although this shouldn't be nessessary, it won't hurt). Any excess can be wiped away so that it cannot be seen.