94 civic ex 1.6l coolant bubble issue overheating please help

hondaNothyundai

I have a 1994 civic ex 1.6l sohc d16z6. Vtec. It overheated about 9the months ago and I still haven't figured it out. I took it to a shop and had them replace the water pump and timing belt. I also replaced the radiator, thermostat(twice), a radiator hose that split, the coolant reservoir. I continue to have the same issue though. After I bleed the cooling system it acts fine. Then after about 30 miles the temp gauge slowly rises from normal(1/4 way up) to 3/4 by hot and drops. If I re bleed it stops. If I keep driving it continues but it stays up toward hot longer and more often. Then when I get home it is either spraying/leaking out of the overflow tank lid or has been leaking from there. I have been asking friends and coworkers and they said to check for head gasket symptoms and that doesn't appear to be the issue. Please help!!!!!! Thanks. =)

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Head gasket or cracked block/head. The bubbling is exhaust gasses in your cooling system.

hondaNothyundai

Do you know how to check for a cracked head/block? I looked it up but couldn't find anything. Also, would be easier to rebuild/resurface mine or just buy and install a new one?

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
I use a special block test kit from napa, but you can find it at other stores too. This is a decent vid explaining it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp3FWH-YnHU

If its just a head gasket you should be able to get away with just a new gasket and resurfacing the head. But if the block or head is cracked you won't be able to see it with the naked eye. A machine shop will have to check for you. In the case of most of these civic engines I would say that you should be fine with doing just the head if thats what it comes to.

hondaNothyundai

Sweet! Thanks for all of the info!!! Really appreciate it. I will post the results after I get this fixed so other people can see it. FIXING MY VTEC!!!!! YAAAAAAHHHHOOOOO!