94 Civic New Owner Questions

purpcivin

I just bought a 94 civic and it has some problems that I want to get fixed I guess I will start by listing them below and maybe you all can help me out with what I need to fix them. I apologize ahead of time for being a ri-tard

1) Brake issues- when I press down on the breaks at first i have good pressure but then i start to lose it. I am thinking that I probably need either new rotors or maybe im lucky and just pads

2) The lights in the dash work sometimes but dont at others. The guy i bought it from said that there are wires behind the dash that are spliced together. I want to replace that wiring harness but i dont know what exactly i need to order/ how to do it.

3) The front left blinker doesn't have any wiring going to it will i need a new engine wiring harness also?

4) Didnt come with a spare tire or lug wrench or jack anyone know where I can get those. Instead of a spare I may just get another full size rim. I have acura mesh's if anyone has one they want to get rid of.

5) I have been reading up on doing a gsr back end swap so that I could have disk brakes all the way around any thoughts on the matter?

6) Not sure what direction to go with but my car needs a new stereo it has the mounts for tweeters in the doors so i am looking for full component systems. and has anyone heard on of the MTX vehicle specific subs in the civics?

Sorry i know this is a lot but I figured it may be easier to get them answered if people dont have to read through 4 million different posts. Thanks for your time.

RonJ

Banned
1) Brake issues- when I press down on the breaks at first i have good pressure but then i start to lose it. I am thinking that I probably need either new rotors or maybe im lucky and just pads

Check for a brake fluid leak around the master cylinder, front calipers, and rear wheel cylinders. If none is found, then try bleeding the hydraulic system. If that does not help, then you may need to replace the master cylinder.

2) The lights in the dash work sometimes but dont at others. The guy i bought it from said that there are wires behind the dash that are spliced together. I want to replace that wiring harness but i dont know what exactly i need to order/ how to do it.

Pry the dimmer switch out the dash, unplug the connector, and install a jumper wire into the free plug between the terminals for the red wire and black wire. Do the dash lights now stay on full bright?

3) The front left blinker doesn't have any wiring going to it will i need a new engine wiring harness also?

Can you locate the disconnected wires (power and ground)?

4) Didnt come with a spare tire or lug wrench or jack anyone know where I can get those. Instead of a spare I may just get another full size rim. I have acura mesh's if anyone has one they want to get rid of.

Check the junk yards.

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
Number 1 definitely sounds like a bad Brake Master Cylinder.

I'm not sure if you can use the GSR rears. I believe that the GSR has an ABS system. You can also use the 95 Civic Si and EX brakes since they don't have ABS. You will need the Rear Lower Arm Assembly, Brake Assembly, Master Cylinder, Brake Booster, Valves, Lines, and stuff...

I believe the Master Cylinders for the Si and a Non-Si are the same. The Brake Boosters between the Si and say a DX I believe are different... So they may not be similar. (Meaning you may need the Si/EX Booster)

ghost_xero

The Civic of Civics
I just bought a 94 civic and it has some problems that I want to get fixed I guess I will start by listing them below and maybe you all can help me out with what I need to fix them. I apologize ahead of time for being a ri-tard

1) Brake issues- when I press down on the breaks at first i have good pressure but then i start to lose it. I am thinking that I probably need either new rotors or maybe im lucky and just pads....no thats your master cylinder and or a bleed job

2) The lights in the dash work sometimes but dont at others. The guy i bought it from said that there are wires behind the dash that are spliced together. I want to replace that wiring harness but i dont know what exactly i need to order/ how to do it. its easy, where the dimmer switch is just pull that off and there are 3 wires, 2 can be spliced together to make the lights work again, itll be a red one and a red/black one djust spice them and ull be fine, the reason ur lights flicker is because ur dimmer is bad. itll be on the left side of the wheel

5) I have been reading up on doing a gsr back end swap so that I could have disk brakes all the way around any thoughts on the matter?

6) Not sure what direction to go with but my car needs a new stereo it has the mounts for tweeters in the doors so i am looking for full component systems. and has anyone heard on of the MTX vehicle specific subs in the civics?

Sorry i know this is a lot but I figured it may be easier to get them answered if people dont have to read through 4 million different posts. Thanks for your time.